Stove Hood Vent Odor

Apparently have picked up an odor problem in our stove hood vent system. Anyone know a "cure" short of pulling the hood and attempting to scrub the vent pipe? Thanks.
Art
Air is supposed to go out the hood to the outside, not in, so im suprised you have a smell, did you clean the filter and underneath, maybe the fan squirrelcage is greased up. I had a bird in my exterior hood vent.