odor back up in the nail salon

Hi all, I have just purchased an existing nail & spa salon with 8 pedicure spas. During the process of transfering ownership, the shop was inspected by the county inspectors. One of them was a plumbing inspector. I also had a plumber replaced the toilet flange as he said it was improperly installed by the guys who did the tile floor. Everything looked good as the plumbing inspector and the plumber said. However, the last couple weeks I have been in and out the shop late at night and been terrified by the sewage odor as I openned the door. It first came and went away but it 's getting worse and worse every day. The odor comes not during the day (regardless whether the pedicure chairs are used or not) but every night. I have had the toilet door closed a few nights to check if the odor is from there but I could definitely tell it's not as I came back in the morning. The last couple nights, just before we left I noticed the smell from the drain holes of the last 3 pedicure chairs. I had the water run and drained out for about 10 minutes then the smell went away. Why only 3 spas out of 8??? I know I can call the same plumber to look at it but I'm trying to learn to do something myself even though I know nothing about plumbing. In addition to that, the plumber charged me $300.00 for 15 minute job that I think it's outrageous. Please help.

Reply to
kphaam81

These things probably have traps in the bottom. It would seem that you are losing the water trap on the last 3.

They can dry out from non use. Simply add water. They can leak out through a crack or a hole or be eaten up by acid/chemicals. Install new traps. They can be sucked dry because of a venting error. Replumb.

Reply to
DanG

Definitely a p-trap is not holding water, which acts as a barrier to the odor of the sewer backing up.

But the problem could be lack of a vent to the roof on the sewer line right before the traps. Or if there is one, it is stopped up. That causes siphoning which drains your p traps.

The city also might help you by checking for backups on thier side.

Reply to
valvejob

You 'might' solve it in the short term by always running some water down each drain before you close up for the night.

Reply to
terry

Thank you all. I could not check the vent to the roof beacause I did not have the ladders high enough to reach the vent. I have run the water down the drains of those 3 chairs and it worked, no more smell the next morning. The problem as you all said could be the traps dried out from not using for a while (it's the slow season now). I really want to take a look at the vent on the roof, it's just a plain pvc pipe without any thing at the end.

Reply to
kphaam81

As are they all.

Reply to