stone foundation falling out

I have a home built in 1848. It has a stone foundation that has sunk and has been sunk for several decades (I can tell this by the way the previous owners who remolded in the 60's just made the baseboards wider to compensate for the sagging floor). This morning I was walking the dogs and noticed a section of the outside wall had fallen out. It looks like this has been a trouble spot before because there are different types of mortar and cement from previous repairs. I have some links to pictures and what I am hoping is what I need to repair this, but I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas or advice on how I can permanently fix this. I am by no means a mason, and I think I am going to have a problem situating the stones back in where they would actually do something structural rather than just lay in there. Any suggestions?

Thanks Shane

gore

I only looked at the first pic, but I suspect the real answer to your question is "call a foundation pro." I suspect that the real fix will involve temporarily supporting that side of the house, demo'ing a section of the foundation wall, pouring a new footing, and building a new wall. Unless a vintage look is important to you I might suggest using cinder block rather than stone, and maybe covering the outside with a stone facing to make it look consistent from the street.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

My suggestion is to get some advice from a pro. This is, after all, holding up your house. A few bucks saved today can be costly in a few years if not done properly. There may be other issues that we can't see.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Shane, it's time to stop fooling around with band-aids. You need major surgery. Get some estimates from reputable contractors as to what it will take and what it will cost to stop your house from sinking and the foundation from falling apart. It might be a good idea to consult with an engineer. Look for companies that specialize in restoration work.

Reply to
John Grabowski

John Grabowski wrote: ...

I was going to note "3 for 3", but it's now four... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Its good the pics were fairly high resolution, I was able to zoom in to see more. It looks like as you said its all stone. Its probably all junk and only sand is left, the portland cement is gone. Past repairs were hack work. It should be supported now inside with screw jacks and wood under and above, so it doesnt collaps more , and actualy raised if its sinking, its something you can do that is raised over time. The stone should come out and probably use block and reface it with your stone so it looks original. Go buy about 6 -20$ screw jacks and some

4x4 and support the corner, You may not have a footer and it could be a big job. Post some of the interior.
Reply to
ransley

Its good the pics were fairly high resolution, I was able to zoom in to see more. It looks like as you said its all stone. Its probably all junk and only sand is left, the portland cement is gone. Past repairs were hack work. It should be supported now inside with screw jacks and wood under and above, so it doesnt collaps more , and actualy raised if its sinking, its something you can do that is raised over time. The stone should come out and probably use block and reface it with your stone so it looks original. Go buy about 6 -20$ screw jacks and some

4x4 and support the corner, You may not have a footer and it could be a big job. Post some of the interior.

OK, I took some pics of the inside. When we purchased the house, the previous owners told us that part was a crawl space and was dug out using a shovel and 5 gallon buckets in the 1940's. So its about 6' deep and there is about a 3 - 4 ft. cement ledge that is about 3 feet high inside the basement. The span is probably 24 ft.What sucks for me is the previous owners did replace the stone with block on the front of the house and the side of the house, but left the stone in the back of the house. The beam at the top of the stone looks like about a 6x6. Thanks Shane

gore

The inside isnt as bad but the discolored dark area is probably from water from bad mortar , Its likely mold. You just cant take old moldy stone and put mortar on it it has to be cleaned, you need a few pros out to bid on it

Reply to
ransley

I share other posters concern. This is not a cosmetic issue. get a pro in. Is it possible there's a sewer/ mains water pipe entering the building that may be leaking? From what you have said about other parts of the building I guess that it is a lack of proper footings, though.

Reply to
Clot

I've read the whole thread, and looked at the pictures, and I'll join the chorus here- that foundation is past any hope of spot repairs. It is definitely not a DIY project. Short version- get a house moving company in to support the place on jacks and cribbing, and get a foundation contractor in there to demo those piles of rock loosely glued together, clean up and square up the basement hole, and put in proper footings/drainage and a modern foundation. Yes, it can be skinned with the old fieldstone to may it look correct. Once the house is set back on the new foundation, you can then figure out how to support the center beam, and maybe pour a slab down there.

Hope your cashflow is good and your loan officer likes you- it ain't gonna be cheap.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Contact Les Fossel at