steps

greetings, i am planning on dropping my outdoor deck to ground level which means i will have to add a step or two from my patio door. is there a national standard or formula that will tell me how many steps i will need, and step width? example, if the patio door is 30 inches above the deck how many steps and how far out should i go? thanks, cj
Osha says: http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id 16
I'm pretty sure just about any combination that a rise+tread+rise%" will be ok.
try this: http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/framecarp/technique/stairs/outdoor.htm
thanks for the link, thats what i was looking for cj
RayV wrote:

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id 16
International Residential Code speaks to: max riser, min tread, min width, requirement for landing outside door, requirement for guards. TB

Building codes will tell you not only do you need a step, but you;ll need a landing at the top.
Since you are going to ground level, consider taking it out and putting in a concrete of stone patio instead. No maintenance. Solid.