Deck Steps

Can i put the stringers or the ground or do i need some kind of support ?

Reply to
desgnr

At an absolute minimum you need a treated 2x across the bottom of the stringers to rest flat on the ground. This is the way most builders do it.

Personally, I would take the time and minor expense to pour a bag or two of concrete or use solid concrete blocks under that board.

Doing so will greatly extend the life of that bottom board and reduce the chances of settlement.

Reply to
Colbyt

They will sink if you just put the end of the stringer on the ground. If your ground is fairly solid just nail a 2x8 across the bottom of all of the stringers. If they sink a little down the road just tilt them up and throw a little dirt under.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

desgnr

Put them directly on the ground if you want them to rot and someone fall down and sue you.

Reply to
hrhofmann

te in message

de quoted text -

Sure.

Reply to
hrhofmann

desgnr wrote the following:

Every Spring you'll have to re-level them if you have frost heave in the Winter. If you install them the way they are supposed to be installed, with a

10' base of crushed stone and sand, it would be better.
Reply to
willshak

I have no argument with Bill's anti-heave solution, but I will mention this:

Over 20 years ago I set the 3 stringers of my 5' high deck stairs on 2 x 8 x 16 pavers and they haven't moved even the tiniest bit.

Western NY on the shores of Lake Ontario, so my deck has seen some rough winters. Granted, my yard is extremely sandy, so perhaps that has helped

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That would be better than nothing.

It is almost as much work to create the proper base for the pavers as it is to mix up 2-80 Pound bags of concrete.

Reply to
Colbyt

I was thinking Sonotube® and pour the concrete...

Wood on the ground is an invitation for Termites.

Reply to
Oren

desgnr

de quoted text -

Just nail a pt board across the bottom and be done. Millions of deck stairs have been done this way all over the country. Anything else is more work than replacing the board once every 20 years. Unless you have nothing better to do.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Don't really know.

An alternative is to pour your own "pavers". Then put them in place.

Reply to
Oren