steel doors - how much security?

Page 1 of 2
Just got finished with my last mini-job repairing a steel door that had been "kicked open". This is the third "steel" door I have repaired or replaced in the last two years. All off these doors were the typical doorknob and deadbolt combo door that you buy at the bigbox-type building supply superstore that we see everywhere. The wood prehung frame for these doors is incredibly weak -- very, very poor construction from a security standpoint.
The next time you do a security audit for the protection of your family, check the entry doors first. I recommend upgrading to steel doors with *steel* frames. If you can't go this route, I would suggest steel reinforcement for the cheap steel doors commonly available.
Just a thought. In this day and age........

Three times in two years? Maybe you should consider moving.
On 9/25/2010 9:59 PM, no snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Well, yeah- at a minimum, put a steel plate behind the jamb where the latches are, and run extra bigass screws through the jamb, plate and shims into the studs. And make sure the deadbolt is long enough to interface with the steel plate.
I've seen plenty of steel-skin doors forced just as you described over the years.
If it is in a really crappy or private location, consider a metal crowbar guard over the outside of the latch, and one of those rotating sleeve things around the knob, to slow down the vise-grip and cheater bar trick.
And even with metal frames- you need commercial-grade thick ones to make much difference. The apartment I used to live in had front door opened with a crow bar- the steel frame wasn't much thicker than a car fender, and bent easily.
As always, a quality install job is a must. Even a super-solid door won't do much good if it is installed by a hack, and not shimmed and secured properly.
--
aem sends...

I think you mean a steel-clad door, right?

I had a neighbor with one of those, guaranteed, and someone kicked it in. The door company gave her a new door, but she was quite disappointed, she thought it would really protect her. And I think she thought the company would pay more, for other losses, which they didnt' pay for at all.

Did you know that the U.S. is almost the only country in the world where steel perimeter doors and frames are NOT the residential standard; in spite of the fact that crime is much lower in those countries?
On 9/26/2010 12:02 AM, Molly Brown wrote:

In a lot of those countries, it isn't so much the CROOKS they are worried about....
-- aem sends...

In the UK the crooks are in the gov..........
Harry....Move to the USA. You will feel right at home.

You cannot protect yourself from a pro. A good lock man would be in there within a minute with a $20 set of lock picks. A crackhead would be in there in ten seconds with a rock through the window. It goes from there. It must have been a really dumb bad guy, as he took almost the hardest way to get in, namely kicking in the door.
I would have used the lock picks myself.
Steve

There are some expensive locks that cannot be picked and although not recommended for safety reasons with a double cylinder deadbolt lock the door wont open from the inside either.

There are some expensive locks that cannot be picked and although not recommended for safety reasons with a double cylinder deadbolt lock the door wont open from the inside either.
reply: I'm sorry you missed my post. I said that the OP should examine all the avenues of entry, as the door would be the least attractive entry to most thieves.
And the average person/business has crap for locks that can be picked with a paper clip and a safety pin. Lots of times with just a sharpened hack saw blade.
99.9999999% of the populace is not going to pay the big buck$ that "unpickable" locks cost. And then if a thief encountered one of them, they would just drive through.
Security is an all around thing, not only doorknobs.
Part of one of my jobs is security assessment at commercial and HOA residential properties. 97% fail, and I can gain entry with a sharpened hack saw blade, a lock pick, or many times the lock is just plain broken.
Steve

Getting in to a house through a window is one thing but trying to carry out the loot from the same window because you cant open the front door is a another thing.
Molly Brown wrote the following:

Most doors can be opened from the inside with no problem, and there may be more than one door leading outside.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Getting in to a house through a window is one thing but trying to carry out the loot from the same window because you cant open the front door is a another thing.
Yeah. A bag full of rings, watches, and jewelry would be pretty unmanageable.
Steve

plus the burglar opens the door from inside and happily carries out the loot.....
no home is secure, the most you can do is make it very inconveient for a brglar so the pick another house to rip off

I do have a safe for the guns and such. It is not very good,but should make it difficult to carry off very fast.
Best thing to do is just have a good insurance policy and not worry.

bolt it down to something solid.

Record your valuables serial numbers and keep pictures of them for insurance purposes;they require PROOF you actually owned them for any claim.
even with a steel door,the door FRAME is then the weak point. But those can be reinforced.
Then you need a deadbolt lock that is "Bump key" proof.
then address the windows and patio doors. Patio doors are a common point of entry. Doors to a garage,too. Often thieves will break into a car,and use the remote to open the garage door and then can force the inner door to the house at their leisure.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yup- It is kind of like outrunning the bear-- You don't need to. . . just outrun the other guy.
Jim

ROFL...
Buy a real door... Not a metal clad door if you are having problems with breaking and entering... "Wood" frame + "metal" door = metal clad over some sort of filler, either cardboard, foam or wood core...
Get yourself a real heavy gauge hollow core steel rated door and steel frame...
~~ Evan
On 9/25/2010 8:59 PM, no snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

If you need more security than that, then you need to move.
--
Steve Barker
On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 20:59:16 -0500, no_name wrote:

and don't forget steel panels over your windows...
;)