Stealing satellite

Page 2 of 6
SteveB wrote:

Different situation: You didn't BUY the software. You paid for the right to use the software under the conditions specified in the contract and sometimes those conditions specify you can't use the software on more than one computer. If you want to use the software under different terms, the company will probably be glad to accomodate you.
For example, enterprise editions of XP start at about $5,000.

1. "buy" the software 2. Use it on ONE computer 3. that computer dies (or you just need to reinstall) 4. now you get to use it on NO computers, and are a victim of "protection"

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark Lloyd wrote:

computer's stolen, you can install the software on another. Virtually all retail versions of software can be moved to another computer. However....
If the software is designated OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), it is licensed only for the original computer. If that original computer is stolen, you're out of luck.

The problem I described above is only with some software (and this is increasingly common) that tries to ENFORCE that by requiring an internet connection and somehow sending this information somewhere (that is it's spyware, like Windows XP) then refusing to install if it doesn't get the response it "wants". One reason I'm now preferring free (especially open source) software. It's unlikely to do such stuff.

It may have been written to verify something in the computer's BIOS. I was not referring to that.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Losing" implies a CHANGE. Someone has something, and then does not. Like I said before, what the **** is that publisher doing with YOUR money when you haven't bought anything?

And not at all "theft".
Now, if you bought the book, copied it, then returned it for a refund...
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

just stole the author's royalty, among other things. If you went to library, read the book and returned it, then it wouldn't anything. But you did something active which changed it from legal to illegal.

Still copyright violation. Still taking money away from the author since they don't get the royalty from returns. You are still ripping someone off and playing all sorts of word games to soothe your own conscious.

I notice you ignored much of what I said. Any reason for that?

Currently nonsense, since no one has explained how the author got YOUR money in the first place.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I don't think he ignored anything. He responded directly to your post that implied it's legal and OK to take a book from a library and copy it. PS, it's not. It's a violation of the copyright laws.

The author isn't getting your money when you copy it. Isn't that the whole point? The bottom line, it's illegal to take a book from the library and then copy it. You have a problem with that? It's very obvious to most of us how it's not right and how it deprives the author of income. If you had BOUGHT the book you now have, it would have put money into the author's pocket. By copying it from the library, you now have a copy for free. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

Kurt Ullman wrote:

No technically about it.
It is theft of intellectal property.
On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 12:20:07 -0800, jJim McLaughlin

Isn't that what the writer's strike is about? Their intellectual writings being distributed by holly wood...no compensation.
Same with movies/software - not being paid for.
China is the worst for theft ...no regards for ownership, imo.
Oren --

there's a big difference between -cable- and SATELLITE. One requires you string a cable to your home to get the signal,the other doesn't,the signal is there no matter what you do,whether you want it or not.
Satellite TV is no different than the power company charging for sunlight when you put in your own solar panels.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Um... The satellite provider has to pay for much of the programming they provide, and also has to maintain the system. Those satellites don't come cheap.
If you have a job, I'm sure you expect to get paid for your work, don't you? If you employer decided that he didn't feel like paying you, would you have a problem with that? His argument for not paying you is that it's okay because you were there working anyway, so it's not like he's stealing from you or anything...

Nice comparison. I like that.
Steve
[snip]

Here's another one to think about.
1. You have a job cleaning drinking fountains in a hospital
2. The hospital pays you
3. A visitor comes in, gets a drink of water, and fails to get a deadly infectious disease because you cleaned that drinking fountain.
4. You (not the hospital) sue the visitor for "theft of service" since HE benefited from your service, but didn't pay you.
As to satellite companies, that company has expenses to provide the signals.
An additional receiver does how affect those expenses.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

fountain, by the hospital.

I asked you to think about something. Could you do that?

"An additional receiver does not affect those expenses. By not paying for them."
Is that suppised to mean something? How about responding to what was actually said?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"An additional receiver does how affect those expenses."
WTF does that mean?
Wait a minute. I don't even want to know. I've heard all from you that I need to.
Good Bye.
Plonk
Steve
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:38:11 -0800, "SteveB"

That sentence does look weird. Looks like a spelling checker F-up. The real sentence is,
"An additional receiver does not affect those expenses."

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

it's not even a "comparison".
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You liberals sure have a sense of entitlement! What a bunch of rationalizing crooks.