Stealing satellite

Page 1 of 6
I have a hypothetical friend. He has subscribed to both Dish Network and Direct TV in the past. He currently has the Dish Network network dish mounted on his house and is subscribed to cable. He also has a hypothetical friend that currently subscribes to Direct TV. He wonders out loud what would happen if he borrowed the extra box that is hardly used from his friend.
Are both disks the same. Would one box work with the other's dish? Would the box work if he climbed up on the house and changed the dish back to Direct TV?
Sigmand wrote:

Since both providers have birds @ 119.0W you can use the same dish and LNB provided they are legacy type and not 'dishpro twin'.
If you really want a fun hobby: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ysq2sf
--

-G

direct and dish try to require constant phone line connection of all receivers, unplugged too long the provider can turn the box off. of course its theft of service, but you already know that.
if both locations have DSL you can slingbox the sat feed to the other location

I have had dish for years and have no phone connection. This is only needed if you want to purchase a PPV program.
---MIKE---

>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

BUT if it is hooked up to a phone line it does call out and on some of the phone calls it provides the provider with the phone number that it is calling from. I wouldn't do it, It's stealing.
The receiver won't work unless you pay your bill or deal with web sites like this.
http://www.satellitesdirecttvdishnetwork.com/direct-tv-satellite/private-3m-script-hack.htm
When you stop paying your bill they do something to the receiver to turn it off.
I don't know if they still do it this way, but the receivers had a card in them. You could purchase a hacked card that would give you access until the sat company defeated them and you would have to get a new card. The other way to get this card was to get one that could be reprogrammed. I was once in a house that had a cable running from their receiver to a old computer that kept the card up to date.
Its explained a little bit here.
http://www.tech-faq.com/signal-theft.shtml

why does anyone think its OK to steal satellite tv? would you steal your neighbors car? rip off stuff from the grocery store?

..
If you steal your neighbors car he no longer has it.
If you tune in cable channels no one has lost anything tangible.
Cable companies call it stealing, but it is not the same thing.

Of course it isn't, despite the ridiculous claims otherwise. This includes claims from our business-controlled government.

there's a big difference between CABLE TV and SATELLITE TV.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The biggest being one is what you want to get for free and other is something someone else wants to get for free.

cable TV doesn't come into my house unless someone connects a cable,and supplies a decoder box.It's not OTA. SATELLITE signals come to my house regardless whether I want them or not.
a comparable analogy would be if the local TV station rents an antenna (and the digital converter)to watch their over-the-air(OTA) broadcast. Or I supply my own and watch it.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Then could the "stealing" (with cable) refer to the electrical loading on their system from an unauthorized connection?
Then it doesn't apply to a basic subscriber finding a way to decode the signals for additional channels the cable company wants money for?
BTW, in that last paragraph, I am NOT referring to anything interactive.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I suppose this difference has nothing to do with what constitutes "stealing". Otherwise you would have said what that is.
If it possible you're referring to the 2-way interaction in digital cable (while not accepting the existence of analog cable)?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I wholeheartedly agree. It isn't stealing. It's just plain vanilla dishonest. Dishonest people can be dishonest and yet not steal. They just do a variety of other activities.
A man and woman are not married to each other. They check into a motel. The clerk asks, "Are you married", and they both answer yes at the same time. Are they being honest?
No. If they were honest, they wouldn't be there in the first place.
Beware of a man who says he's honest. He's likely to lie about other things.
Twain or Rogers
Steve
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:02:38 -0800, "SteveB"

I suppose it could be considered something like "contract breach".

Just WHERE is that dishonesty?

You know there's another place you can find that sort of problem. A BIG problem.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Beware a man who says he is doing god's work, he's probably lying. Like someone who says "I'm from the govt and am here to help you" ;)

If you steal your neighbors car he no longer has it.
If you tune in cable channels no one has lost anything tangible.
Cable companies call it stealing, but it is not the same thing.
So, is that the same as going to a library, checking out a book, copying it, and returning the book. I mean, they have the book back, don't they?
Steve
]

But the author loses out on royalty if you bought the book. Since you took the time and effort to copy the book, you must want to keep a copy and that is theft (okay technically copyright violation..)

I agree. I'm just playing devil's advocate here and asking so that people who think theft and dishonesty is okay have a chance to explain themselves.
I DO have a problem, though, when I buy software, have multiple computers, and want to put it on all of them. FOR PRIVATE USE. How many people have more than one computer? Lots. Or one of them dies or I get rid of it, and want to use that program again. I'm not talking about big programs, but the little stuff. Especially when it's a ****5 program, and they're now up to ****11 version. Sounds like a can opener you buy, and you have to pay every time you want to use it after the first time. Or, whoops, you take it camping. Gotta pay to use it in a new location.
Steve