Standard sizes for laundry?

In planning a laundry room, if you don't already have a washer/dryer picked out, how do you allocate the amount of space for them? Do they always come in one standard size?

If you don't know in advance and err on the side of allocating more (rather than less) space, you could be left with ugly spaces should you choose smaller W/D combination.

How is this problem usually handled?

Thanks

Reply to
Ken Korona

We sized for about the middle of the standard size range, on the assumption that we might in the future want a machine other than the one we have now. The gap left along side the machine is just the right size for storing a step ladder. We'll move the ladder if we ever get a bigger machine.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

I don't know if you are planning on building cabinetry for them or not, but if you do make sure you allow extra space around the dryer to provide good airlow/ventilation.

Reply to
FDR

Tom G

Reply to
Tom

add a convenient storage shelf cart on wheels. when the repairman comes you roll it out of his way.

Reply to
buffalobill