stand by generac

hello i have a customer who has a stand by that is having troubles running. i changed the oil pressure switch,but the unit still says low oil and will not come on auto.but if you reset it it will run. any help would be appreciated. thank you mike d.

-------------------------------------

Reply to
paheaterman

Have you checked both the actual oil level and the oil level switch? If it reads low oil level it will not autostart.

Reply to
clare

------------------------------------- yes i've checked the oil level, and the oil pressure switch was replaced. any other suggestions?

Reply to
paheaterman

Since you know it has oil, test it with the oil switch disconnected and not grounded out. I am assuming the switch only has one wire going to it.

You could have 2 bad switches. The test could confirm that.

It would help to know the make and model.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Did you check the actual oil pressure? It can have oil and a good switch but low oil pressure and that will trigger the oil pressure switch to kill the motor.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Also, besids an oil PRESSURE sensor, does it have some oil LEVEL sensor?

Reply to
trader4

Is this the older 8kw unit with the B&S Vanguard engine? That's the genset I've had the problems with bad oil pressure switches. The other problem that will cause a no start condition is the valve being out of adjustment. The valves have to be adjusted every few years or after an extended run time like a major power outage. After a long run like that, it's best to replace the plugs, oil and filter. I've yet to have to replace an air filter in a typical suburban setting. A dusty desert or rural area maybe but I haven't seen a need in town. I did have to adjust the clearance on the magnetos on one unit years ago.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

--------------------------------this is about seven years old. i can't remember type of engine. as far as switch it has two wires ,and when i unhooked the wires awhile ago the unit still shut down.I've changed the plugs,oil filter,oil, air filter,during the fall maintenance. but still shuts down.

Reply to
paheaterman

Since the engine runs but then shuts down, it is more than likely an electrical problem. Without knowing what make and model, or having a wiring diagram, you are on a wild goose chase. Good luck!

Hank

Reply to
Hank