Stainless Steel Appliances are a curse

Page 1 of 2
We had a nice, old refrigerator. Worked pretty well, too.
Then we decided we had to upgrade our kitchen to keep up with the neighbors. We bought a $ 2000 Jennair.
Trouble was, it had stainless steel doors. They are a pain in the xxxx to keep clean and shining. The darned thing always shows streaks. How can we possible impress our neighbors with a streaky refrigerator like this? :-)
Is there a simple way to keep stainless steel panels streakless and virginally perfect?
Walter
Walter R. wrote:

neighbors.
xxxx to

can we

:-)
Hi,
This may help.... http://www.applianceaid.com/sscleaning.html jeff. Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /
"Is there a simple way to keep stainless steel panels streakless and virginally perfect?"
Get rid of your kids.

White spray paint. My wife likes the SS, but I hate it for the reasons you describe.
@example.com says...

Bar Keepers Friend (a type of Ajax, which you buy at Kitchen Kaboodle, hardware stores, some supermarkets) works marvelously, but you have to buy a lot and apply a lot for it to solve your problem.
get rid of your neighbors

neighbors.
Ya I learned this lesson with a stainless island hood.
The box stores carry a spray product for cleaning stainless.. A LITTLE goes a long way. Buy the can cleaner and you will have less problems.
When I went house shopping the realtor kept taking me to homes with SS appliances. I finally had to put my foot down and say NO.
The only stainless I have is the sink. At least it is manageable.

Spay it with Windex. Dry it with paper towels.
It will then look great for about a day. Repeat the process.
Avoid all the spay on garbage they sell. If you use that stuff you will have oily dirty SS.
I had a house with all ss appliances and was told to use lemon oil (like Old English) to clean it with. That's all I used and it shined great and was easy to keep clean (I have kids).

Should have opted for "Clean Steel" as opposed to SS. The Clean Steal is a satin polished steel that looks identical to the SS, but two things are different. You can still use your refrigerator magnets to hang your kids drawings. The Clean Steel does not leave fingerprints, smudges etc. Well ok, there is a third difference too.... quite a bit cheaper than the stainless as well.
ReRe

chillermfg wrote:

What would the use of regular stainless have to do with using refrigerator magnets? Magnets stick to stainless. Perhaps you're thinking of aluminum?
Rick Brandt wrote: ...

Very many SS alloys are, in fact, non-ferromagnetic or, at best, very weak...
chillermfg wrote:

What would the use of regular stainless have to do with using refrigerator magnets? Magnets stick to stainless. Perhaps you're thinking of aluminum?
Evidently you are not familiar with stainless steel. Ok to give you the benefit, some stainless steels are magnetic. The more ferritic properties of the SS will result in higher magnetism. Most of the SS used for appliance cabinetry are Austenitic Grades. (See Below)
Austenitic Grades All austenitic grades have very low magnetic permeabilities and hence show almost no response to a magnet when in the annealed condition; the situation is, however, far less clear when these steels have been cold worked by wire drawing, rolling or even centreless grinding, shot blasting or heavy polishing. After substantial cold working Grade 304 may exhibit quite strong response to a magnet, whereas Grades 310 and 316 will in most instances still be almost totally non-responsive.
The change in magnetic response is due to atomic lattice straining and formation of martensite. In general, the higher the nickel to chromium ratio the more stable is the austenitic structure and the less magnetic response that will be induced by cold work. Magnetic response can therefore be used as a method for sorting grades of stainless steel, but considerable caution needs to be exercised.
chillermfg wrote:

[snip]
Fair enough. I just know that magnets stick to my SS sink. If this is a "grade" issue why would appliance makers opt for the type that is non-magnetic? Are there advantages to that type that benefit an appliance?

[snip]
Fair enough. I just know that magnets stick to my SS sink. If this is a "grade" issue why would appliance makers opt for the type that is non-magnetic? Are there advantages to that type that benefit an appliance?
Well, Rick,
I am not sure about the whys and why nots, but more than likely it will boil down to cost or... since the ferritic SS have more iron properties and the refrigerator my be subjected to humidity, so it doesn't rust.. Before you tell me stainless doesn't rust, try google and search to see. It does. Now each grade will oxidize differently. Even Aluminum oxidizes. The fastest metal I have seen oxidize is Sodium. You slice a bar of Sodium with your pocket knife and you can watch a haze form immediatly. Of course you then have to throw the oxidized piece away into a bucket of water... Wear your safety glasses and watch it blow up...pretty cool. ReRe
My Whirlpool fingerprint resistant SS fridge is magnetic, the Kohler sink and custom made counter/backsplash isn't. It might be noted that 304 will show surface rust. 316 won't
My Whirlpool fingerprint resistant SS fridge is magnetic, the Kohler sink and custom made counter/backsplash isn't. It might be noted that 304 will show surface rust. 316 won't
Are you certain it is SS? I have Clean Steel Range, Fridge. SS Microwave / Range Hood. And soon to purchase Clean Steel Dishwasher. I tell you what, the microwave shows every damn smudge, fingerprint..everything. I don't even have to tough it, just get close, and fingerprints show up. The stove and fridge I have only wiped down once since May and that was only because it seemed like it needed it. It didn't have any appearance of dirt or smudges. Now the glass cooking surface of the stove is a different story. Very easy to clean, but must be done very often. Perhaps if you do have the SS Fridge, it has been coated with something to maintain cleanliness and some sort of magnetizer. Like I said, mine is the clean steel...is magnetic....and looks identical to the stainless.
ReRe

neighbors.
From what I have seen the right way to show off and impress everyone about your stuff is to have all of your fancy stuff in the display kitchen which is never used. This is much like a museum only you wouldn't have the velvet covered chains to keep people out because that is not so "homey" looking. Then have another kitchen in the basement in case you needed to open some bottled water or a container of nuts...

You can go the other way with a stainless kitchen and have it show that this is a working kitchen. The stainless is clean, it just shows signs of habitation. Once you get over the first scratch and continue to use it you eventually get to a brushed finish.
Vinegar works very well for cleaning stainless steel. We have a dishwasher with a stainless steel interior, when it gets badly water spotted it's easy to run one cycle with some vinegar; it comes out beautiful.
-- Tom