Stain Andersen Patio doors

I intend to buy and install Andersen Sliding Patio doors. My understanding the doors are unstained unfinished pine interior that is usually stained. Does it mean you have to mask the windows glass and stain the door itself? Does the door have any interior trim?

I installed a dozen or so Andersen windows in my house. The window itself is not stained as it is not exposed. I stain the trim that is then attached to the window.

Reply to
ls02

You don't have to stain. You do have to put some protection on bare wood. Paint, varnish, bacon grease will work too. Depends on what you want it to look like. After installing, you usually put trim that matches the rest of the room. Some masking is probably involved too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have the Andersen French wood 400 doors and I just sealed them with polueurethane because the wood was the right color for our decor. (red oak) Blue painter's tape is all you need. If you bought the grids they will come separately boxed so stain and seal them before you install them.

Reply to
gfretwell

The instructions in the box will tell you, there is a section that covers this, I think. There may also be a time limit mentioned, so as to prevent loss of warrantee, moisture damage, etc... Look on the Andersen site for a installation PDF.

Reply to
Oren

Any stain on the glass comes off with a razor blade, its quicker than taping, but be real sure to use a Pre Stain, pine will stain blotchy without it and look like crap.

Reply to
ransley

I installed one of these in 2007. I left the pine unstained and just put poly on it. I masked the glass. I did this before I installed the door HW.

I am quite pleased with the results.

I highly recommend the door, too.

I believe the instructions say not to use anything abrasive on the glass, such as a razor blade.

Reply to
Steve McElrath

If you razor blade the stain off, keep the blade almost parallel to the glass to avoid scratching it.

Reply to
hrhofmann