Squirrel Birth Cycle

I am proposing to rout some squirrels from the space over my living room ceiling before winter sets in. The point of entry is known and I propose to set a Have-a-Heart in front of the opening to trap them as they emerge. The opening will then be sealed. My question is this: Is there any danger of trapping babies at this season? I want to avoid trapping *anything* at all cost for obvious reasons Also, if anyone has alternate methods for trapping or killing, I'd appreciate hearing. Info much appreciated. Thanks! Frank P.S. I do realize that calling an exterminator is an option but most people I know haven't had good luck with them and they can be expensive!

Saw an interesting segment on D.I.Y. network. Lady had similar problem with somekind of varmint under deck. Buried hardware cloth all around perimeter and then left one opening for animals to get out. Over that opening, made a box out of the hardware cloth with a one-way swinging door on the outside. Varmint could exit but then couldn't get back in. Rather than the Hav-A-Hart trap, I would just fashion something like that. Probably could find info on their website. Pretty simple, basically the same thing we used to make to trap pigeons when I was a kid. But on second thought...squirrels are pretty smart...might require the Hav-A-Hart and a frying pan (clean squirrel, dip in corn meal/flour mix, and fry 'til done) to keep those critters out.
Tom G.
frank1492 wrote:

Careful. Squirrels are game animals and states have "seasons" in which it is permitted to take them. Seasons vary, but are generally centered around February.
On the other hand, if you think "cat"....
frank1492 wrote:

What worked for me was to poke my head into that space now and then (as often as is required) and say "Hello!" The squirrels said "There goes the neighborhood!" and moved away.
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:42:47 -0400, frank1492 wrote:

From the Wikkipedia gray squirrel article:
"Gray squirrels are mammals, and hence have live babies. They breed twice a year, the first litter being born in February or March, the second in August or September. There are normally three or four babies in each litter."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Gray_Squirrel
With your Giganews / Verizon headers, it is hard to guess your location. But you may have young ones that are just getting out and about on their own.
I really like and enjoy watching squirrels, as long as they stay out of the attic. But the way they chew wiring, I'd be getting them out of my attic too.
That said, I'd guess that putting them out with no nest at this time of year is a death sentence. It might be more humane to kill them as you catch them. Plus, that way you won't have squirrels running around that have fond memories of your warm and dry attic.
--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I\'m now filtering all Google Groups posters.
frank1492 wrote:

A little Squirrel head impaled on a little pike outside the entrance to their den should scare them off. A sort of "scare squirrel".
TDD

You must repost saying where you live. At this latitude squirrels breed in later winter and may breed a second time in summer, but by October all are weaned and there are no baby squiirrels.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

They're born. They live. They die.
Thank you all for your advice, comments and cautions. I have enough ideas now and will mull over them. At present, it looks like either the trap door or the Have-a-Heart. I do not wish to cause suffering for any animal, but I am afraid the pitfalls of continuing to allow him access to my ceiling space will dominate my thinking.

I cut back the tree that allowed them access to the roof, and the problem went away.
I have deliberately not done that yet, though there is an arbor vitae that leans against the house and I have seen them using it. I was concerned that they couldn't get down if inside, so wanted to make sure there was a trap in place as they left, and no means to get back in.

if you evicting them and have a tree nearby put up a squirrel house, so they have somewhere to move.
its wrong to kill any animal unnecessaril;y
Would that be like a bird house with a bigger hole?
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 19:41:09 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I think squirrels in the house is a good reason for killing them.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Cover the opening with heavy hardware cloth and purchase some DCon. Squirrels can do a lot of damage, plus they breed so quickly some folks call them "tree rats.".
frank1492 wrote:

a '22. Bird shot or '22 shorts take care of squirrels and rats quickly.

What about those BB guns sold in department stores? Can you get one that is decently accurate for under a hundred dollars? I see them with scopes and all...