Squirrel Birth Cycle

I am proposing to rout some squirrels from the space over my living room ceiling before winter sets in. The point of entry is known and I propose to set a Have-a-Heart in front of the opening to trap them as they emerge. The opening will then be sealed. My question is this: Is there any danger of trapping babies at this season? I want to avoid trapping *anything* at all cost for obvious reasons Also, if anyone has alternate methods for trapping or killing, I'd appreciate hearing. Info much appreciated. Thanks! Frank P.S. I do realize that calling an exterminator is an option but most people I know haven't had good luck with them and they can be expensive!

Reply to
frank1492

Saw an interesting segment on D.I.Y. network. Lady had similar problem with somekind of varmint under deck. Buried hardware cloth all around perimeter and then left one opening for animals to get out. Over that opening, made a box out of the hardware cloth with a one-way swinging door on the outside. Varmint could exit but then couldn't get back in. Rather than the Hav-A-Hart trap, I would just fashion something like that. Probably could find info on their website. Pretty simple, basically the same thing we used to make to trap pigeons when I was a kid. But on second thought...squirrels are pretty smart...might require the Hav-A-Hart and a frying pan (clean squirrel, dip in corn meal/flour mix, and fry 'til done) to keep those critters out.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G

Careful. Squirrels are game animals and states have "seasons" in which it is permitted to take them. Seasons vary, but are generally centered around February.

On the other hand, if you think "cat"....

Reply to
HeyBub

Are you certain that they are squirrel and not roof rats?

Reply to
Boden

From the Wikkipedia gray squirrel article:

"Gray squirrels are mammals, and hence have live babies. They breed twice a year, the first litter being born in February or March, the second in August or September. There are normally three or four babies in each litter."

With your Giganews / Verizon headers, it is hard to guess your location. But you may have young ones that are just getting out and about on their own.

I really like and enjoy watching squirrels, as long as they stay out of the attic. But the way they chew wiring, I'd be getting them out of my attic too.

That said, I'd guess that putting them out with no nest at this time of year is a death sentence. It might be more humane to kill them as you catch them. Plus, that way you won't have squirrels running around that have fond memories of your warm and dry attic.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

What worked for me was to poke my head into that space now and then (as often as is required) and say "Hello!" The squirrels said "There goes the neighborhood!" and moved away.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

A little Squirrel head impaled on a little pike outside the entrance to their den should scare them off. A sort of "scare squirrel".

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You must repost saying where you live. At this latitude squirrels breed in later winter and may breed a second time in summer, but by October all are weaned and there are no baby squiirrels.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Thank you all for your advice, comments and cautions. I have enough ideas now and will mull over them. At present, it looks like either the trap door or the Have-a-Heart. I do not wish to cause suffering for any animal, but I am afraid the pitfalls of continuing to allow him access to my ceiling space will dominate my thinking.

Reply to
frank1492

I live in Massachusetts. I won't be able to start a serious rout until after November 1.

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:16:55 -0400, "Don Phillipson" wrote: after

Reply to
frank1492

I cut back the tree that allowed them access to the roof, and the problem went away.

Reply to
Bob F

I have deliberately not done that yet, though there is an arbor vitae that leans against the house and I have seen them using it. I was concerned that they couldn't get down if inside, so wanted to make sure there was a trap in place as they left, and no means to get back in.

Reply to
frank1492

or killing, I'd

if you evicting them and have a tree nearby put up a squirrel house, so they have somewhere to move.

its wrong to kill any animal unnecessaril;y

Reply to
hallerb

Would that be like a bird house with a bigger hole?

Reply to
frank1492

They're born. They live. They die.

Reply to
ktos

I think squirrels in the house is a good reason for killing them.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They can always jump down to something lower. As long as they can't jump back up, they will be gone.

Reply to
Bob F

Cover the opening with heavy hardware cloth and purchase some DCon. Squirrels can do a lot of damage, plus they breed so quickly some folks call them "tree rats.".

Reply to
Phisherman

My son solved the problem several years ago by sitting in the attic with a '22. Bird shot or '22 shorts take care of squirrels and rats quickly.

Reply to
Boden

What about those BB guns sold in department stores? Can you get one that is decently accurate for under a hundred dollars? I see them with scopes and all...

Reply to
Bert Byfield