Speed Control for fan?

This may be a duplicate posting because an earlier post never showed up in this NG. Sorry

-----------------------

It's getting hot here in So. California. The 12" table fans that I can buy are too noisy and throw too much air, even at the lowest speed, causing drafts and discomfort.

How can I reduce the speed of my fan, without using an expensive variable transformer? Will a lamp dimmer work on simple fan motors?

Thanks

Reply to
Walter R.

For years ive used X10 dimmable lamp modules and a wireless controller

Reply to
ransley

Worked for me. Used a double box, connected a dimmer to an outlet with a cord and plug recycled from some discarded appliance. Worked with a 20" box fan that I just plugged into it.

Reply to
Jeff

Actually, I tried the dimmer. It was rather noisy, both the dimmer and the fan, probably because of phaseshift and the chopped up AC.

So, I wired a 40 watt incandescent bulb in front of the fan. Perfectly smooth and absolutely quiet. Speed control is still governed by the push-buttons

Reply to
Walter R.