Spa Hot tub resurfacing

Its quite surprising how little information I've been able to come up with concerning resurfacing an older spa and or hot tub. I would think that many people out there must have a similar dillema as myself. I recently purchased a home with a hot tub intalled on the 2nd story deck. Recently, I discovered a fair multitude of bubles (blisters) in the gelcoat throughout the unit. I would probably just replace the spa were it not for the thousands of dollars it would cost to have someone to perform the labor for such a difficult location removal and installation. Therefore, I really need to make a long lasting quality repair. I'm not overly confident that the gelcoat repair kits I see at boat shops would accomplish this? And I'm imagining that the rest of the unit will keep sprouting new blisters as this tub is of unkown age/condition? Any suggestions from someone with experience would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
joe

Time for a new tub. What you spend on this one will be money wasted. Used ones can be had for good prices, but stick with a really good brand name or you will wind up with another that will fall apart on you.

IMHO, that is. YMMV

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I tend to agree. If you have blisters that expose the fibers of the glass you will have water wicking into the glass and possible delamination later.

If the pump, and other plumbing are OK you may be able to get a new shell.

Modern spas are often a two man job to move when empty.

A local dealer should be able to quote on replacement or a new spa.

Reply to
marks542004

Yeah, my Nordic round tub weighs about 350lbs when empty. I managed to move it across the yard by myself, pulling it on a tarp. Getting one down from a deck, while a bit of work, isn't impossible by any stretch. If you want impossible, trying dealing with one that was put up inside a screen porch that's been enclosed with walls. Sawzall time.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

I had to move two, each about 50 feet. The first one, I used the help of about six Mexican gardeners. It was so frustrating because they couldn't get it, even with an interpreter.

The second was easier, as it was concrete. I used a pry bar to start it up, blocked it each time I raised it, got a floor jack under the edges as soon as I could, set it on furniture dollies, rolled it across the concrete, rolled it onto its new foundation using sections of PVC, and lowered in place. It was work, but it was easier than working with others.

I don't understand how immigrants here expect to be more than gardeners and maids if they won't learn the language. If I spent three months in Mexico, I would be speaking conversational Spanish, and after a year would be totally functional. Some of these Mexican immigrants don't speak English after years and years here.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

They more than likely went to work to help support their families at age 4 or 5, and have never seen the inside of a classroom. The reason that you can more easily learn a new language is because you have had at least a basic education.

Commodore Joe Redcloud©

Reply to
Commodore Joe Redcloud©

I refinished a small fiberglass stall shower base with a 2 stage epoxy paint and it has held up well. Is there a possibility you can sand out the rough spots and try the epoxy? FWIW YMMV

Reply to
NickySantoro

replying to Steve B, Stacy wrote: Only a little bit racists, NOT like a whole lot of racism. You must be a Republican! I bet you couldon't find any lazy as white guys to come help you. The Latino Gardners that I hire work their assessment off with no complaining. I would lie to see you in Mexico flailing with your spanish, good luck with that

Reply to
Stacy

Aren't you the pot calling the kettle black. Is it typical of a democrat being so clueless to reply to a post that is over a decade old?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway