Teeing off a Sewer Line

I need to tap off a sewer line between the street & the house that I am told is either Orangeburg or Terracotta. Is it possible to split either types of these lines and insert a tee? I'm not sure which it is - Just bought the house and the neighbors are saying it is one or the other.

Thanks

Reply to
MB

Yes, possible. Orangeburg could be cut with a long Sawzall blade.

Vitrified clay pipe is more difficult. Best is to get a big wet saw. But for a couple of cuts you could use a dry abrasive masonry blade in a circ saw. Make lots of small cuts and break away material.

Either pipe type can be joined using Fernco "Mission" style couplings. Insert a PVC TEE or WYE with short lengths of PVC pipe on each end. Slide rubber coupling all the way onto PVC pipe and then slide backward ontlo the old pipe. Some clay pipe info:

Couplings:
I don't know what your intent is for this project but you had better run it by the authority responsible for the sewers.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

in buffalo ny we use a licensed plumber and require a permit if the work is past the property line and related to their main. the amount of work to do involved with underground requirements and pre-notifications for buried cables suggests you have a plumber make that connection for you and maybe excavate without damage.

Reply to
buffalobill

And don't use a 'T', use a sanitary 'Y' and a 1/8 Bend.

Reply to
Goedjn