Spa (hot tub) recommendations?

Any recommendations on good manufacturers (or ones to avoid) for an acrylic, backyard spa? I've had bad experiences with a Morgan - they seem to be the big boy here in Dallas, but with my negative experience with them, I'm looking for alternatives.

I wanted to get a real redwood spa, but can't seem to find anyone that sells them here in Dallas.

Thanks!

Reply to
No-Name

If you understand how spas are built, you come to realize that the spa maker designs and molds the shell, builds whatever frame it will have, and then decides which components from other suppliers they will use. Some builders design and build a great shell, and then use the cheapest pumps, heaters and controls they can find. They know that most buyer are buying their first tub, so "more jets" is a better sales feature than a better quality "pack", or other less obvious features

Thermospas simply doesn't cut any corners. They cost more than some, but I'd be willing to bet they have a corner on the market when it comes to people who are buying their SECOND spa.

My first spa was one I built myself in 1975. It's still in use out in Santa Cruz California. I'm quite satisfied with my present Thermospa, and when it is time to replace it, I expect to buy another Thermospa.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

I have three:

Catalina Catalina Catalina

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Jacuzzi. Actually, any of the big names. The key is a wet test to make sure *you* are comfortable with it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

Run screaming from ThermoSpas. FWIW, I suspect that they have shills patrolling chatrooms and newsgroups. I've seen several posts in around the 'net that read just like their literature.

I have a Park Avenue Elite, purchased in 1997, and I live 30 minutes from the CT factory.

Thermospas tech support SUCKS and their warranty is useless after about 2 years. I notice that every time I go to the factory for parts, which is more often than I'd like, everyone working there seems to be new. The "Free" delivery only applies to perfect conditions where they can hand carry the spa to it's location. My "free" delivery required a crane to lift it onto my deck for a $250 fee.

Some background: #1 The sales person, "Jack", gave me this spiel about how a spa was available at a discount because it was shipped to a dealer and refused, so it was returned to T-spas. Oddly enough, the inside of the spa is dated and initialed by factory quality control inspectors

2-3 weeks AFTER the date I bought the spa. I guess they hire salespeople with ESP.

#1a The spa is delivered 3 1/2 weeks late. Getting info from Thermospas is like pulling teeth.

#2 When my spa was delivered, the installation team failed to predrill the cover lifter holes, splitting the top rail. They were too busy complaining about Thermospas employee working conditions to do the job right. After about a month, I was FINALLY able to get them to come out and replace the rail, which required, draining and jacking the spa out of the case. I pay for city water and was told the cost of water was "my problem". The service tech also spent 4 hours bashing the company.

#3 A bulb burned out in my control panel. The tech support department told me I needed a whole new panel, as the bulbs are soldered in. The panel would be "free", but since my spa was over a year old, I'd have to pay for installation. I refused to believe it, because I was holding the TWIST OUT bulb in my hand as I was talking to them. Three calls later, I finally reached a knowledgeable person who sent me the $0.50 bulb.

#4 My two speed pump developed a leak. The phone support person told me to "just pull off the impeller to remove the rest of the pump". Great! The only problem is the impeller is THREADED, so I ruined the motor. Thermospas 50% off, warranty "Priority Price", for the motor was over $300, the Acura Spa Products pump / motor assembly is all over the 'net for less than that. A local pump shop sold me the identical motor, and helped me correctly repair the pump, for total of $125 _retail_.

#5 I needed replacement filters, of which my spa needs two, identical cartridges. Thermospas "Factory Direct Priority Price"? $80 for the pair, or $40 each. NAMCO's _retail price_ for the identical Pleatco filter? $80 for EIGHT of them, or $10 each, to a customer who has never purchased from them, DELIVERED to my mail box.

If anyone here is an employee of Thermospas, my real name is in the header. You can verify my service records and see that this is all true.

Run, run, and run faster!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I live less than 30 minutes from the factory.

I still talk to the same people who were ther when I bought my spa. They seem to have very little turnover.

They are very forthcoming about what is a standard delivery and what is not. So are all competitors.

My spa was delivered on time, and the time was within a 4 hour window. I have always found the telephone support to be excellent.

Now you have revealed yourself to be a complete liar. The twist out bulbs are about $4 each. I know because I just bought 2 of them for my 2000D panel. I am not surprised they gave out after over 4 years of 24/7 operation.

I would have to say that your post now has 0% credibility.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

That was 1999, I'm sorry I messed up a bulb price. I wasn't complaining about it going bad, it's a bulb after all. I was complaining about them telling me THEY would have to change it.

I can care less if you think I'm credible, and I'm happy you're happy. I think the spa is fine, although overpriced for a "direct" sale. Thermospas after-sale service stinks. I'm not alone, check these out:

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Yeah, sure Barry. So, to support your nonsense and false accusations that Thermospa hires people to infiltrate usenet, you supply opinions from websites owned by their competitors!

Now I REALLY believe what you say!!!

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Are you associated with the company?

I noticed that you left out the epinions links when you quoted me.

My last comment is that I post my experiences under my real name, not a screen name.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Nope. Just a very satisfied customer.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Take a look at Hot Springs. I had one that was built in 1985 and still going strong when I moved in 2002. The only reason I replaced it at the new house (with another Hot Springs) was that the vegetation had grown up and I would have had to cut down several Palm trees to get it out. That or use a VERY long armed crane.

Jim

Reply to
ChiliJim

Reply to
allan

You posted this exact cut-n-paste response a few months back.

It's not in Google, as you've got your no-archive flag set. Your attempted flame responses to my poor customer service experiences with Thermospas _are_ in Google, quoted in my posts.

Seriously, are you connected with Thermospas?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

WTF are you on about? You are responding to a post I made on December 18, 2003. I haven't cut and pasted anything.

I am not connected with Thermospas except as a satisfied customer. I have paid them thousands of dollars - they haven't sent me a dime. You are the one who seems to be somebody's shill. Please explain yourself.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

So that's why I remembered it!

It appears to have been re-posted somehow. It showed up this evening as a new post. The part about you building your own spa back in California jogged my memory.

Some news queue somewhere around the world must have reposted it.

If someone who so vehemently defended a product posted the exact same post a few months later, wouldn't you wonder the same thing?

Since it's apparently some sort of server error, I apologize for bringing it up.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

BB