SOT: Garbage Can smell

Page 1 of 2
Fro over a month I have been fighting with the stench of the outdoor garbage can. I have tried Lysol, hospital disinfectants, masonry cleaner, etc., but nothing is cleaning this thing out. It is one of those big plastic garbage cans with the built-in tops and holds a week's worth of garbage. Any ideas would be welcomed!

pour in a gallon of laundry bleach

Did that too.
Mike Dobony wrote:

new garbage can

I put a dead skunk in my can. OK, so that was a mistake! But what I did was to hose out the can, then while still wet I put baking soda in the can getting it everywhere. I let that sit then poured in a whole gallon of vinegar put the lid on and let that sit over night. The stench didn't completely disapear BUT it did minimize it a great deal. Its now gone completely but it took some time
SD
S H O P D O G wrote:

Best for skunk smell is tomato ketchup.
ransley wrote:

Rinse. Power wash again. Rinse. Let stand in open air and bright sun for two days.
Mike Dobony wrote:

Wash it out with a quaternary ammonium-based cleaner, and leave the lid open for a few days to air it out (put your garbage somewhere else in the meantime)
Bob
On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 15:38:43 GMT, "Mike Dobony"

Triple-bag your garbage--I found this helps a lot especially with certain items.
Keep your garbage cold before trash day.
Sanitize the trash can using 1 cup bleach, 1 gallon warm water, 1T. dishwashing detergent. Brush inside and out (a toilet brush works well), allow 5 minutes, rinse with a garden hose, and allow to drain and dry.
A can that has a tight-fitting lid helps.
Allow for more ventilation.
You could use the deodorizing "Stick-Ups," one inside the lid and one stuck to the inside bottom.

?????????????? HOW would I do that? Get a special refridgerator just for garbage?

I have no choice in what I get.

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 20:09:42 GMT, "Mike Dobony"

No. Use the one you have. You didn't give any details so he and I assumed you were talking about your home. You can pour excess grease in a bottle and freeze it so that even if it drops it won't spill grease all over the place.
You can leave watermelon rind or even chicken packaging in your fridge or freezer. Or, there are lots of less problematic things that will still smell after a while. If you have no AC and it's hot out, and you have special problems with garbage can smell, it's worth doing this.

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 15:38:43 GMT, "Mike Dobony"

I would let the water sit in it for a day or three, maybe changing the water in the middle, with some soap or detergent. When things have cracks, they can't be cleaned in one, or several, strokes like in the Spic' and Span commercials.
Then fresh air and sunlight. Point the open end at the sun. As it moves it will get the inside sides. A couple days will probably do it.
If not, I'd make it the back-up garbage can, and put it some place out of the way, and save it for times when your regular number isn't enough. Leave the lid off, and in a year, it won't smell.

I only have one company issued can.
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:03:31 GMT, "Mike Dobony"

Then skip that suggestion. and thank me for the other two which afaict might still be good.
It's good in most case when OP's reply to suggestions, but your replies are dominated by negativity. Not a single line one could call positive. I noticed this, thought this before I got the reply to mine.
One more thing, if it's going to fill with water without a lid, you can turn it upside down and put a brick under one side. (How come when I was little there were aways spare bricks around, but I don't see that anymore.)
Mike Dobony writes:

Hopeless.
Fats (and foul-smelling fat-soluble things) diffuse into polyethylene, which is what most plastic trash barrels are made from. That's why your Tupperware (also polyethylene) gets stained pink from lycopene (fat soluble dye) in greasy tomato sauce. So basically you have a reservoir of stench sponging into the plastic, and no amount of surfacting or scrubbing will take it back out.
on 8/25/2007 4:51 PM Richard J Kinch said the following:

Is it only me that uses plastic bags for garbage before putting it out in garbage cans? My cans are stored outside next to the side of the house. I don't smell them unless I open the lid, and because the garbage is in plastic bags, there are no (yuck) maggots crawling around in there after a few days..
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

No lots of my neighbors do. I live in the midst of townhouses. I used to too, not big bags but smaller ones, until eventually I got the plastic can dirty enough that it would likely never look new again, and now I don't bother anymore.
I use brown plastic cans with tan lids, and one of them 24 years old, and the other more than 14. I never drag them so the bottoms don't wear out.
One split vertically in about 4 places but it still worked fine. Yet I think the garbage men kept in one time, which I don't think they should have done.
I was able to get another one the same colors
I don't like the new colors and I hope brown will be back by the time I need another one. Although I got one out of the trash, and that third one will get promoted to 2nd if one of the others wears out. If I have a lot, I use the third one.