Garbage Disposals

My garbage disposal is leaking and I guess it needs to be replaced.

My concern is: Do I need to replace it with a like brand or are all garbage disposals interchangeable?

Thanks

Reply to
Freckles

If you replace it with a like brand, you may only have to detach it from the sink and install the new one (plus the wiring and piping). If you buy a different brand, you may have to detach the GD, then detach the basket strainer and install a new one on your sink, then attach the GD. (It is not actually a basket strainer, but a GD attachment.)

Reply to
Robert Allison

Interchangeable - to the extent that the drain holes in the sink are standard.

Reply to
HeyBub

Leaking where? I've heard of putty failing and just needs repacking.

tom @

Just Joshin

Look at how the GD attaches to the sink. Get a replacement with a similar mechanism. (of course if the attachment mechanism is leaking, this doesnt matter). Note that GDs of different brands may have the same attachment collars (theres only a couple of manufacturers of GDs)

Buying the same exact model makes installation the easiest as all the drains and wiring will be in the same place.

Reply to
jmagerl

Most garbage disposals are interchangeable because most are made by In-Sink-erator, even though they are sold under different brand names. I think t hey made 80% of the ones in the USA. This assumes you don't get one that is 2 or 3 sizes bigger. Those will usually fit at the sink, but will be too wide or too narrow for the the current location of the drain pipe. Which might be easy to move, but that varies.

I'm not sure how to describe a non-ISErator, because the only one's I've seen are made by them. They have a bayonet mount. You lift it into place below the sink and rotate them 30 or 40 degrees or more and they lock into place. IIRC this was a bit hard to lift the first time, and much harder 15 years later, when I was 58 and out of shape. Especially since the door under my sink is only one cabinet wide I had to do it alone. (The sink is between a corner cabinet and the dishwasher.) I may be a pansy but I ended up using a floor jack the second time, and that made it easy

Sears and Ace Hardware sell disposals made by insinkerator under different brand names. And IIRC Home Depot and maybe Lowes sell them, maybe under the real name. The house brands are sometimes 5 or 10 dollars cheaper, but they also have a shorter warrantee, 1 year instead of 2.

When you get it home and take yours out, and open their box, all the new ones provide a coupling betteen the sink and the disposal and if the coupling isn't the same as what you have, you'll have to figure out which one is insinkerator. If it's the one you have already, I'd return the new one and buy ISE by whatever name it is sold.

Reply to
mm

Leaking is a rare failure for a GD. Usually the motor burns out or they wear out. Might be a simple leak repair instead of a much costlier replacement.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

I replaced a lower quality ISE just last year. At first it started leaking then it burned out. When I took it out I saw that the leak was water running right thru the unit and it's ultimate failure was inevitable. I think this was a low end 333 model.

I replaced it with a 555. Much quieter and I think it will prove more durable.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I had one, a 444 made by ISE. They had sold thousands of these with a bad seal. Water leaked past the seal locking the motor up tight.

Waranty services replaced it no questions asked. That's the kind of customer service I won't forget.

Reply to
Hugh Glass

BTW, when you install it, be sure to pop out the plug in the drain in advance. Harder to do it once it is installed.

I'm not sure in what kind of installation one would want the plug to remain. ???

Reply to
mm

Maybe someone who's kitchen appliance ensemble doesn't include a dishwaher?

I assume that's the "plug" and "drain" you're referring to....

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Thanks to Jeff, I withdraw this statment unless you have a dishwsaher. OOPS.

Leave it in place if you don't have a dishwasher.

Shame on me. I forgot what it was for.

Posted and emailed to the OP.

Reply to
mm