solderless vs soldered copper joints.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether a solderless joint will hold up as well as a soldered copper joint? In which cases would you use one or the other?

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Whats a solderless joint? A glued joint, a compression joint, or something else?

You probably want to use a solderless joint.

Reply to
Toller

A flared fitting is solderless. It is used where you want to easily dissasemble the joint or where copper meets another material. all other joints shold be soldered.

Reply to
Lawrence

You don't want compression fittings behind the wall. Soldered joins are pretty much fail proof when done right. You use other fittings when changing materials, such as the chrome pipe to the toilet, or faucets. Learn to solder and do the job right.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Probably, opinions are fairly common...

We talking pipe, wire, ???

Reply to
dpb

It'd help if you'd research it a little, partly to be able to construct a good question.

Some "solderless joint"s for Cu tube: compression, flared, double-flared, threaded.

Do you mean, as compared to _sweated_copper_tubing_joint? Prepared by whom?

barry

I'll take a stab at your ambiguous question. For piping, I'd use solder pretty much everywhere except where you may want to be able to remove or replace equipment. Example, you probably wouldn't want to solder up pipes all the way to your water heater. Common practice is to install a union so the heater could be replaced easily. I don't think non soldered pipe joints hold up as well as soldered ones but there are places you just can't get away from them. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

One of those questions that could be answered a million ways...

For all we know, the OP was talking about the kind of joints that people smoked back in the 60's & 70's...... I never heard of soldering them things, but I never heard of copper ones either, unless it was some of that red-bud that looked like a copper colored weed.....

Reply to
maradcliff

Are you refering to compression fittings or pre-soldered fittings?

Reply to
TakenEvent