Soldering directly to button battery

Page 1 of 3

I'm replacing a small button battery (CR 2032) with two AAA batteries, I'm intending to leave the old discharged button battery in its place and solder the leads from the AAA batteries directly on to the button battery.
Is the heat that I would need to apply to the button battery with the soldering iron to solder to it, likely to make the battery prone to 'leakage' in the future? Or perhaps cause it to go bang at the time of soldering? Thanks for advice.

Why can't you just replace the 2032?

Or simulate one with 2 bits of tin-can and solder to those.

And what if the old battery has low internal resistance, and shorts out your AAAs? It probably won't be easy to solder to anyway, aren't they nickel plated?

Put the battery in the freezer, and solder quickly. heat does shorten their life.

I think you'll find that the discharged button cell will suck the new AAA's dry.
Also, the CR2032 is 3.6V. Three AAA's are 4.8V. I wonder what the voltage jump would do to your equipment.

Properly applied, the heat should do no damage. Some motherboard batteries used to be directly soldered-in.
A better approach, if you want a hard-wired battery receptacle, would be to unsolder the CR2032's battery-holder from the PCB, then solder the leads of your newly-purchased AAA battery-holder to the CR's holes PCB.
--
Tegger

Correction: The button batteries had flat leads WELDED onto them which were then soldered to the motherboard. It's really kind of difficult to solder effectively to stainless steel. Direct connections to batteries are spot welded.

Best approach is to replace the button cell. It'll most likely have the same or longer life anyway as it is pretty much just the shelf life that matters.
Those batteries typically last 5 years. 5 years from now the motherboard is going to be so obsolete, that once more replacement is all it might ever possibly need.

I missed that it was on a motherboard? I figured it was something else that was using it up at a faster rate.
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 07:12:30 -0700, jamesgangnc wrote:

And obsolescence is one of those very vague things; we have no way of knowing if the thing will be of no use to the OP in five years, and if it is then maybe it does make sense to fit a battery holder.
cheers
Jules
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 16:07:06 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson

Still run a pentium 2 from 1997? That's just two batteries ago.
Also: current draw is so low that it is self discharging that is the primary concern. A AA battery isn't going to last any more than the button cell.
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 11:48:18 -0500, AZ Nomad

Actually, it will only last a fraction of the time the lithium coin battery lasted.
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 11:48:18 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

That's probably about the age of one of the firewall systems - it doesn't need to be any faster (I think it's an AMD K6) for the job that it does, and it's in a nice shoebox-sized case so can sit neatly on the shelf. My main data-recovery system's a few years older than that, kept because it does what I need (where modern systems wouldn't) and I have a few spares for it.
My oldest machines are over 30 years old now, but as they don't even have any kind of battery they're probably not relevant :-)

As salty says, I think AAs would be worse (and AAAs worse still), but maybe for the OP it's a convenience thing (I can never find one of those 2032's kicking around when I need it. Not sure sure about AAAs though, I don't think I have a single thing that takes 'em)
cheers
Jules
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 19:01:54 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson

AAA batteries are almost unheard of in Europe and Africa - but for some reason pretty common here in Canada. We used to install AA battery cases for CMOS batteries way back when - the standard CMOS battery then being a "custom" battery and quite pricy. They were 6.6 or 6 volt, and the size of a 9v battery.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I remember those! Zenith z-248 had those, except ours were the size of a short AA. Purple, and made by some company in Israel. Hard to find in civilian world, and damn expensive.
--
aem sends...

Yes, those too. But MOST motherboards had a "battery header" that allowed you to install an external battery. We even had a rechargeable CMOS battery kit available that charged from a floppy drive connector.
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 19:43:13 -0400, clare wrote:

News to me. I keep quite a few AAAs 'in stock' and use quite a few. One of my cameras (a cheap one) uses them. My old Palm Pilot uses them. Lots of other stuff round the house.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Like remote controls for TV etc? AA are too big for many these days.
Ever noticed that AAA normally cost about the same as AA, but are half the capacity?
--
*It was all so different before everything changed.

On 8/25/2010 1:41 AM, Bob Eager wrote:

I've had flashlights/torches that use AAAA cells. They're kind of cute. I have some LED lights that use two lithium cells that are smaller than the AAAA,s and they have a little pin sticking out one end.
TDD
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca saying something like:

Rubbish.