Sofa SMell

Hello, I recently aquired an old but nice sofa from my grandmother. I think it had been sitting in the basement for some time before we got it as it has a slight mold/musty/cat urine? smell to it. I've taken the foam out of the cushions and washed them in the bathtub with dawn. They seem to be clean, but how can I get the smell out of the back/side arms/etc of the sofa?
~ Matt
Spray it with automotive carpet cleaner and clean according to the instructions on the bottle. When thoroughly dry, sprinkle with baking soda and let it set for a day. Vacuum completely and then spray with fabric freshener. If really bad, you may have to repeat the whole process two or three times. Or....hire a pro to come in and do it but may cost more than the sofa.
Bob

Febreeze works wonders! moved into an apartment that smokers had lived in. sprayed walls and wood work and TADA - no more smoke smell.
--
Claudia
| Febreeze works wonders! moved into an apartment that smokers had lived in. | sprayed walls and wood work and TADA - no more smoke smell. | <snip>
Ya, I've used that stuff. It doesn't get rid of odors, it just replaces them with it's own. Now everything smells like "Febreeze".

That's got to be better than the smell of urine.....
I'd recomend that you have the sofa reapolstered, you'll never completely get the smell out of the fabric and the style must way out of date & worn. Personally I make it a habit not to sit on anything that smells of urine. Why did you bother to wash the foam?, wouldn't have been simplier to replace it?
Randy