Socket wrench sets: SAE or Metric?

Page 4 of 6
On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 18:09:08 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

What size is the drive on your medium metric socket set? 9.5mm?
We also see 1/4-20 threaded bolts with 10mm heads. Engineers seem to be bi-polar.
On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 19:16:24 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yes - those were used on some '80s GMs - they had a blue "oxide" finish on them to identify themselves as "bastards"
On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 22:41:32 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

IBM spec'ed all metric stuff (screws, bolts and some tools particularly allens) in that blue color. I still have a bunch in my "metric" screw stash. It avoided a lot of confusion. You could figure out what was US made and what was imported from vendors pretty easily.
Show me someone who thinks "english" is better than "metric" and I'll show you an uneducated imbecile.
On 10/23/2015 7:16 AM, Jack Goff wrote:

OK, lets see pictures.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You don't have a mirror??? ;}
On 10/23/2015 05:16 AM, Jack Goff wrote:

The metric system, unfortunately, lasted a lot longer than the First French Republic.

Two caps full
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:05:43 -0700, Don Y
It helps a lot when you remember 100km/hr is about 60mph (a mile a minute)

But that's the point -- familiarity teaches you how to make these approximations and which approximations are "robust" (for a given type of calculation).
For highway driving, I tend to average 60mph. I'm in no rush and not keen on "pushing" the car any harder than necessary -- depart 10 minutes earlier instead of driving 10mph faster!
It's second nature for me to glance at the clock, convert miles to minutes and arrive at an ETA (in my head). Thereafter, use the clock as an indication of how much "longer" (in time and miles) I have to drive. If I'm within 10%, I'm delighted -- no need to drag out a calculator or rely on a navigation system to provide me with updates, etc.
If I'm about to paint the roof and need to make a decision as to whether or not I should lug the 5G container of paint up the ladder with me -- or split it into smaller "loads", it's relatively easy to figure 1G = 4qt = 8pt ~= 8lbs. So, 5G paint is AT LEAST 50 pounds (ignoring the weight of the solids dissolved therein and the bucket itself). The fact that it's not sold in liters -- which can "easily" be converted into grams (Q: how many kg can you carry? do you know this off-hand? Or, did you have to start with english units and convert to metric in your head??) -- doesn't interfere with my ability to estimate the weight.
When I was younger, I used to design speaker enclosures. Part of that task is designing the crossover network (to route specific frequency ranges to each of the different sized "drivers" in the enclosure). There, "2 * pi * R" is a common factor in many calculations. Solve this *once* and you'll never use a calculator again to solve it!
Just like 1G = 8lbs.
How many atoms in 12g of C-12? (Why 12g and not *10*?? :> ) Unless you're using this number often, you won't have it (or even an approximation of it) "handy". OTOH, if you *do* use it often, that familiarity makes it seem far less of an "unusual" quantity!
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:41:07 -0700, Don Y

In Florida you will have little old ladies in buicks giving you the finger if you are only doing 60. 80 is pretty much the standard speed on I-75 and 65 on a rural 2 lane blacktop. Guys going 60 might be suspected of being drug couriers or illegal immigrants. You could be talking to the cops.

It's hard to find roads with speed limits above 60MPH in town. I'd have to drive a long way to get onto an "interstate". Driving 10MPH over the speed limit here *will* get you a ticket -- to the tune of several hundred dollars.
Given that most roads in town are 45-55MPH, 60 is probably pushing the limit.
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 11:58:22 -0700, Don Y

Far different here. The speed limit on rural 2 lane blacktops is 60 and I-75 is 70.
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 15:44:11 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Up here school zones are 35 or 45, normal city streets are 50, urban corridors are 60, the "ring rode" is 90, most rural rodes are 80, and main highways are 100. But thats all Kph, not Mph.
The story is told of an american driver being pulled over back in the pre-metric days on Hwy 85, on the way to the 401, doing 85MPH. He told the cop he was sure he say a sign saying 85. Cop said it was sure a good thing they stopped him before he reached the 401.
On 10/23/2015 1:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

School zones here are 15. And, they have this insane habit of carrying "school zone" signs INTO the roadway -- placing them between each pair of lanes in each direction -- at times when students get in/out of school. So, you're sure to be wary of taking the paint off the side of your vehicle if you proceed through in too much haste!
(Of course, the volunteer crossing guard will no doubt make every effort to record your plate number if you do so. Senior Citizens with enough time on their hands to sit and watch cars creep by twice a day tend to be obsessive!)

I have fond memories of the Maritime. I was cruising along 80-85, I wasn't paying attention, on the QEW IIRC when an RCMP car passed me and the radio cop just waved.
In PA school zones are 15 mph and you better be doing it. Who knows when the cupcakes coming out of the high school need a break in traffic to make their BMW's nimble. I was told that limit was set so the buses could get out. If one pulls out then the rest of the que is too...
You don't really need speed limits because potholes are regulating...
--
Tekkie

This is not a story as I know the fellow and saw the ticket. A boy had just got his license a month or so before and did get stopped doing 85 on interstate highway 85 . The speed limit was 65 at that time. He thought that 85 sign was the speed limit. Not sure if the cop said anything about good thing he was not on a higher numbered highway or not.
On 10/23/2015 3:14 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I recall driving my future wife and in-laws to a wedding many years ago. Wedding was scheduled for 1:00PM and we had left with *ample* time to get there. Of course, as I wasn't driving MY vehicle and didn't want to risk making a bad impression on the future in-laws, I was driving VERY "deliberately".
As we pulled into town, I glanced up at sign above bank and saw that it said "105" -- Crap! How the hell can we be THAT late?? Then, a few seconds later, said "12:32" -- Well, make up your mind! Is it 5 after 1 or half past 12??
Never occurred to me that a *temperature* would be that high! :<
On 10/23/2015 6:36 PM, Don Y wrote:

I thought the electronics on my car went haywire one August day when I pulled into a rest stop. It was 1:01 in the afternoon., temperature was 101, radio station was 101.1FM That was back in 2001.
On 10/23/2015 8:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

And you needed a 10.1 MM socket to change a tire?
--
.
Christopher A. Young