Socket wrench sets: SAE or Metric?

Page 2 of 6
On 10/22/2015 04:06 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Metric tools have one advantage; when you're laying under the vehicle it's easier to yell 'Get me the 20, honey', than 'Fetch me the 13/16th, bitch.'
On 10/22/2015 9:16 PM, rbowman wrote:

Get me the twelve, which is on the shelve?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 1:59:09 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm actually surprised that *you* are this late to the game.
In any case, get 6 points, not 12. They grip so much better...much less chance (none?) of rounding off the head of the bolt. They do lack a bit in "convenience" when positioning over the bolt head, but they feel (and act) so much more secure.
1/2" drive for brakes and suspension, 3/8" drive for just about everything else.

+1 +1 +1
Mark
On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 11:52:30 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Tire has their Mastercraft combination set - all metric and inch - 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive - on sale for $159 - normally about $600. Might be worth a road trip up to Buffalo/Niagara or up to Kingston/thousand Islands to snag yourself a set this week. The Mastercraft tools are VERY good value.
On 10/22/2015 4:36 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's a first class set of wrenches, but I'm on a Harbor Freight budget.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

set of tools. It IS a $600 set.
On 10/22/2015 02:36 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I doubt Stormin can get a passport...

On 10/22/2015 9:24 PM, rbowman wrote:

What! Just because I've been clubbing baby seals, lighting kittens on fire, molesting small boys, voting tea party Republican, sniffing glue, buying tools at Harbor Freight, inhaling helium, setting mouse traps on my counter tops to keep the cat off, forging documents that say I'm a FBI agent, smuggling arms to Ambassador Chris Stevens, mainlining Heroin, transmitting on ham bands out of license, robbing banks at gunpoint, writing love letters to Pope Francis, and driving 37 MPH in a 30 MPH zone, that's no reason why I should be denied a passport!
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/22/2015 2:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's obvious that I'm failing in the nerd department. I should know this kind of thing. Well, so, does my Harbor Freight metric set do the SAE sizes also?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

"combination" set is 2 sets in one box. Up here in Canada that is the most cpommon socket set you can buy.
On 10/22/2015 6:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've found that often 13 MM will do 1/2 inch. Wonder if there are other sizes that do double duty?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

7/16 are real close. (11.11mm) 19mm is very close to 3/4 inches (0.748 inches) 13/16 is very close to 21mm (20.63mm) - so an 11/16 will fit a 17mm, but 17mm will be tight on an 11/16. A 7/16 will work on an 11mm, but an 11mm will be tight on a 7/16" A 19mm works fine on a 3/4" - and a 3/4 is just a tad snug on a 19mm.
On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 6:24:16 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I told you in my post, one of the first responses, that some sizes are close enough and cited 1 1/4" being almost identical to 32mm. How close they have to be depends on what you're doing, how desperate you are and how lucky you feel today. I believe someone else posted a link to a chart, no?
On 10/23/2015 8:11 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Yes, the chart looks totally useful.
Now, wonder if a metric set will serve as both, or are there some inch sizes that are needed in addition?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 8:38:49 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The short, simple answer is that you need both.
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 08:38:44 -0400, Stormin Mormon

On 10/22/2015 2:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The only time I've totally needed 12 point, is distributor wrench. I do agree about the six points. When I did heating, my trainer had a 1/4 drive SAE ratchet set. I was amazed how much he could do with that. Now days, I find a 1/4 drive set can do a lot.
Yesterday a friend and I changed a windshield wiper motor (10 MM) and a wiper transmission (also needs 10 MM wrench). Both with quarter inch drive set. Nut to remover wiper blade is 13 MM wrench. All done with quarter inch drive wrenches.
Replacing leaf springs, half drive and power tools are preferred.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/22/2015 10:59 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Unless it's a foreign-made vehicle, you'll need both (US cars are frequently a mixture of both types).
I keep a "dual" socket set in each vehicle and "select" wrenches (e.g., I almost always use a wrench to deal with the drain plug for the oil pan so keep that wrench) in each vehicle.
Thankfully, we have 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" "drive" and not 6mm, 9mm, 12mm "drive" sockets! :>