Socket wrench sets: SAE or Metric?

What is the thread on a 2002 Ford Taurus wheel stud, and what is the size of the nut? (hint - neither one is measured in inches) How about Chrysler/Dodge from about 1978 and up? And Lincoln from 1988 on? They are not 3/4" AF nuts either - they are

19 mm - that's .05mm smaller than 3/4". And not 13/16, but 21mm. Just .63mm smaller than 13/16"

They use 12mm studs.

Reply to
clare

Nope. You need either a "combination" set or 2 separate sets. A "combination" set is 2 sets in one box. Up here in Canada that is the most cpommon socket set you can buy.

Reply to
clare

If you are only going to have one set, make it a 3/8". You can always use an adapter down to 1/4 for the smaller sizes (10mm and smaller)- 1/4" reatchets etc are designed for low torque - generally no more than 20 ft lb (240 in lb)

Reply to
clare

I've found that often 13 MM will do 1/2 inch. Wonder if there are other sizes that do double duty?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've been very pleased with the 1/3 drive sets for most jobs. Though, I do have larger available if needed.

My other job is refrigeration repair, and the SAE quarter drive set is handy for changing fan motors on smaller equipment. And for many tasks for larger equipment, also.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Does HF have a coupon for the 1/3 drive sets?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Get on down to HF as they have a set on sell for 4.99. 3/8 inch ratchet and sockets. About the price of one good socket.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yup I have a 10mm in my SAE set, because of that. You see metric stuff pop up in the strangest places. The other strange one is 7mm I have a slip handle nut driver that came with 1/4" and 5/16 " and used to open just about anything with hex sheet metal screws.

I ended up getting another one, cutting off the 1/4" and adding a 7mm.

5/16 and 8mm are functionally the same. If you have that and a 10mm socket, you can do just about anything you are going to do with a Yamaha mid range outboard on the water.
Reply to
gfretwell

Yep, they go on sale 1/3 off, now and again.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sadly, I was just in a HF earlier today. I'll have to check on that. I think I know the set you mean. Have on in the truck, but keep forgetting I have it.

There are few problems that cannot be solved with HF tools.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The pawn shop is the best place to get loose sockets. They usually have a big box of them for a buck each and usually you get a discount on more than a few. I put a whole set of name brand sockets together for $5 along with a few spares of the ones you use/lose a lot. I found out about that 10mm thing years ago when the commie metric thing was just catching hold here

Reply to
gfretwell

What size is the drive on your medium metric socket set? 9.5mm?

We also see 1/4-20 threaded bolts with 10mm heads. Engineers seem to be bi-polar.

Reply to
gfretwell

I was able to get a couple 10 mm sockets, and put in with my English sets. Got tired of looking around to find one in another tool box.

The other sizes, well, don't see them quite as often.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Can't say as I've ever been in a pawn shop. Might be a good reason to try it.

I do agree about the commie metric thing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have this interesting set, grips hex, rounded-worn hex, external torx, an d spline. (got mine at Menards for $20)

bob_villa

There is one right next to my barber shop. I always cruise through after getting a haircut, just to see what they have. You can usually get DVDs for a buck too but they seldom have anything I want to watch.

Reply to
gfretwell

Just a SWAG, bet most of the pawn shop DVD are rated R, X, or XXX?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've got metric sets in the Suzuki bikes and the Toyota. I have both in the Ford and Harley. The Japanese use metric, the Americans use whatever was in the parts bin.

Reply to
rbowman

Metric tools have one advantage; when you're laying under the vehicle it's easier to yell 'Get me the 20, honey', than 'Fetch me the 13/16th, bitch.'

Reply to
rbowman

rbowman