Sock in washing machine water pump!

I'm just curious if anyone else has seen this problem before. Today we were doing the wash and the Kenmore direct-drive washer started buzzing when it should have been moving the agitator. After taking off the cabinet and removing the motor and pump, I noticed that a baby sock had gotten clogged inside the water pump impeller. I looked inside the metal basket and the holes just seem way to small for a sock (even a baby sock) to get through. Has anyone ever seen this problem before? I'm glad it is fixed, but now I don't know how careful I should be with other small clothing items. Thanks in advance for your input.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 22 Apr 2007 21:46:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I can't answer your question but I use a net lingerie bag for all those small items or anything delicate I don't want beating itself to death in the Kenmore.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@net.ac ΤΗΡί Θά:

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Apr 23, 12:46?am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

yeah happended to me, destroyed the pump, big expensive hassle.
a lingerie bag is a excellent solution
Add pictures here
βœ–
I noticed that a baby

It went over the side, not through the holes... Mark
Add pictures here
βœ–

Most likely during the loading not when the wash was on. MLD
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yep. Overloading the machine, or loading stuff in after the water has filled the tub, can cause items to walk over the top of the tub.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Thanks for all the input everyone! I inspected the tub a little more carefully tonight, and there does appear to be a seam at the top through which a sock could have escaped into the outer tub and down into the pump. Lesson learned.
Add pictures here
βœ–

yeah I never have socks on top.....
since I made this change I havent had a problem, but DONT overload either, a too full tub makes it more likely
Add pictures here
βœ–
Re: Sock in washing machine water pump! Group: alt.home.repair Date: Mon, Apr 23, 2007, 5:51am (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com I'm adding your story to my long list of reasons not to have kids.
LOL... And the least of those is a 'sock in the pump'...
Add pictures here
βœ–
Re: Sock in washing machine water pump! Group: alt.home.repair Date: Mon, Apr 23, 2007, 5:51am (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com I'm adding your story to my long list of reasons not to have kids.
LOL... And the least of those is a 'sock in the pump'...
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 20:01:58 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Charles Pisano) wrote:

The rubber swan is mine. 1963