Snowblower drive problem

I have a Ariens 824 blower that's at least 15 years old. Lately, I've been having trouble with the drive to the wheels... When the machine hits resistance (like a snow bank), the wheels stop turning (rather than spinning).
This happened a year ago and it was serviced locally, with a report of "adjusted drive, no parts replaced".
I would like to avoid another $100 service charge and especially more down-time, and don't want this to become an annual service event.
Any idea what was "adjusted"? Should some parts have been replaced, since this "repair" was so temporary?
Thanks-
Karl
Karl Juul wrote:

The "transmission and clutch" consists of a rubber tired "friction disk" which rides on a metal "drive disk" mounted on the engine shaft, the "tire" on the friction disk may be worn down to the point where it's slipping under load.
With the engine off!
Take a look at the position when "in gear" and the "clutch" is engaged. It should be pressed firmly against the metal disk by a spring, and none of the linkage supporting it should be hard up against anything, the rubber should be what's limiting further movement. If it isn't, you may need to buy a new friction disk to replace the worn one.
Hesre's some pictures of the parts you should be looking at.
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/ariens_snow_drivediscs_frictiondiscs.cfm
HTH,
Jeff (Who's still using his 42 year old Ariens Sno Thro, one of the first sold, still running it's original Tecumseh "Snow King" engine.)
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

If it is anything like mine, the replacement is a simple job once you figure out how to get to the thing. No need to pay someone to do it but it did take me awhile.
I have had it slip while working if enough snow moisture gets on the driven disc. Happens particulary on the low gears, of course those are the ones I need when working snow banks/berms.
Harry K