Snow Cover On Roof Provides Wind Protection?

Page 15 of 16

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 17:03:09 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

You are so smart and argumentative, why don't you provide even ONE proof that ANY car has that capability built in??? I've given you ONE from the late fifties, that is documented to have the possibility of being unable to be shifted into neutral, and ONE from the early fifties that DEFINITELY, BY DESIGN, was IMPOSSIBLE to shift into neutral at speed .
The first was the Edsel Telletronic - and the second was the Packard UltraMatic. Both were totally out of the picture by the early 1960s.
In wrote

My Buick can be shifted into any gear you wish at speeds over 45 mph. Of course, nothing will happen. Shift to Neutral, you're still in Drive, shift to Reverse, still nothing happens and you stay in drive. I know because when I read it in the manual, I tried it. All but Park, that is; I took their word for it on that one. A step further, if you stick it in L1 and floor it, you'll still go shifting through three of the four gears. Only overdrive won't kick in since it takes an electrical switch to do that, which is held open unless you're in drive. Anyone who can't turn off the key when they finally realize what's going on though would have to be quite a rube.

What Buick is that? When I shift mine into neutral, it is in neutral, not drive. 2001 LeSabre and 1991 Regal went out of gear. I did not try reverse. .

My 2005 Ford 500 can be put in nuetral. I know because I tried it. I too would like to know what buick that is.
Harry K

At speed, shifting to LOW will not cause the transmission to downshift on most current automatics untill the speed drops low enough that the engine would not be over-reved to drive it in LOW, and the throttle is depressed far enough to accellerate the engine to the speed required to drive it at that speed in LOW. However, once it has shifted to LOW it will stay there when the pedal is released. The downshift enable speed may be slightly higher than the full throttle upshift speed, and higher than the full throttle kick-down (passing gear) speed. MOST will also NOT engage reverse above a programmed (and quite low) speed, to protect the drivetrain from damage. Shifting into NEUTRAL, WILL disconnect the drive. It MUST for safety reasons, and by the very design of the transmission. All current transmissions sold for highway use in North America have a "manual valve" that puts the transmission into a controllable condition so that the solenoids can apply or release the required clutches to drive the vehicle. When the Manual valve is put in neutral, no pressurized fluid is applied to the solenoids, so even if they are applied, the transmission will not transmit power to the output/wheels.. The hydraulic pressure is manually disconnected in both neutral and park positions.
Some hydraulic transmissions on off-road equipment are strictly electrically controlled (or at least were a few years ago) but loss of electrical power dissables the drive completely.
On Mar 4, 5:03pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

In at least one case it was a Lexus and I think it was in both. If you want to look it up, got ahead. According to you it is simple and you seem to be expert on simple.
Harry K
On Mar 4, 2:05pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Already done as to a cite for it being proved and as I said I have no cite from Toyota. You _could_ try reading my respons to you directly above this but that might be asking just a bit too much of you.
Harry K

I guess that means you have no link. Kind of strange since you accused me of not watching the news, because the test case proof you are crowing about was all over the news. Why it was everywhere. Yet, you have not a single link and you think I should just take what you say you saw on TV as all there is too it. Here's an example of where that will get you. I watched the 60 Minutes segment on Bloom Energy. I come in here and say "60 Minutes last night had a story about a company that is going to soon have everyone generating their own electricity at home using a cube that is about 6" on a side". Following your rules, that's all there is to it and anyone who dares ask for a link to more info about it is being unreasonable. Why it's been all over the news. I saw it on TV! Just for the record, I can provide you with many links to the Bloom Energy story.
So! How about that new Harbor Freight Multifunction Tool? Do I need proof of purchase to join the club?
And my front door sticks, is this due to the humidity from my fern plant at the other end of the house? Not to mention the radon, it's higher outside than inside! And I can't find the pilot light on the oven? I have it plugged into 240VAC but can't find the pilot? How about the cat litter smell? It's only been a year and it's time to change the litter already? Is this true? How about my heat, I hear it costs more to turn it back when no one is home then to leave it at 70F? And my washing machine won't drain, should I just cut a hole in the bottom of it and tape it when I want it to fill? My phone is messed up too. Every time I hear it ring I pick up, say hello, and someone is there talking to me. And I can't find the "dial", how can I dial numbers when it only has push buttons? Of course my van, it says 5-30 oil, should I put in straight 30? I'm in northern Alaska.
Tony wrote:

I'll give you points for trying to help....
--
aem sends, also tired of Toyota Talk Time....

She also testified that she tried to put the car in neutral but could not and tried other gears and could not. I don't know if that is true or not. In a panic, people do (or cannot do) some strange things.

she was trying to cover her ass. If you're going to try and bilk a several millions dollars out of a multinational corporation, you can't admit any fault. Just like the demon possessed audis of twenty years ago.

In the case of Toyota, it was proven twice that it can easily be shifted to nuetral.
Harry K
On Mar 3, 2:17am, snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

I'm having a tough time figuring out how it could have a negative effect on driveability too. I guess it might piss off the idiots that you occasionally see going down the highway at 60mph with the brake lights going on and off as they apparently tap the brakes for no reason. But it's a moot point, because most of the other manufacturers have the brake/throttle interlock and I don't hear anyone bitching.

Only that small number of fools who make a habit of using the brakes and throttle simultaneously.

Absolute authority at any speed over, say, 5mph. Obviously.

There are a very few times when you want to brake and throttle at the same time. In the good old days, with drum brakes, crossing a stream, you wanted the brakes lightly on the drums to keep them dry. This kept them effective after leaving the stream. Give me some time, I probably can think of one or two more...
But these days, given the problems, it probably makes tons of sense. This morning, the Dallas paper said the Obama administration is considering mandating it. It must make sense <vbg>
-- Doug

Not only that, but most cars have the throttle connected mechanically to an airbox. If you cut off the fuel every time the brakes are used, it'll wreck havock with fuel air mixture. Do you think having valves that only last 50K miles is a worthwhile side effect of providing a fuel cutoff for idiots who lack the driving skills to turn the engine off?

Actually, the throttle is normally closed when somebody is braking under normal circumstances.
I wonder how specialty cars with carbs will handle new regulations for the accelerator interlock.

Who said anything about cutting off the fuel? Dropping the throttle back to idle is more than sufficient to stop runaway acceleration.

Do you think the linkage is going to be moved to idle, pedal and all? Do you think you can move it at one end only?
Most likely the cable outer sheath at the throttle end would be moved. Using mechanical means can cause more problems than might be solved. If the contraption jams, you might have runaway conditions more often than without the kluge.