Snow Cover On Roof Provides Wind Protection?

Not only that, but most cars have the throttle connected mechanically to an airbox. If you cut off the fuel every time the brakes are used, it'll wreck havock with fuel air mixture. Do you think having valves that only last 50K miles is a worthwhile side effect of providing a fuel cutoff for idiots who lack the driving skills to turn the engine off?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Actually, the throttle is normally closed when somebody is braking under normal circumstances.

I wonder how specialty cars with carbs will handle new regulations for the accelerator interlock.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Finally, a straight forward sensible question! ;-)

Reply to
Tony

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:hmm0f5$5d8$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

there's an article about this today on Fox News online. seems there's several automakers who don't have the "interlock".

they have doubts about adding MORE code to the electronic throttle control code.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:hmm0o3$5d8$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

only problem is that in this case of throttle control programming,both "events" are all part of the *same code*. it's still possible for the code to jump off into nowhere,go into some strange loop.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

That's news to me but either way we both know the parking brake isn't going to stop a car at highway speeds and full throttle. No argument from me.

Reply to
Tony

Douglas Johnson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

the Obama "administration" likes mandating things.They are anti-freedom.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

You don't even have to be driving, in the driveway turn off the engine in park and pump it a few times. You will feel it using up the vacuum.

Reply to
Tony

So! How about that new Harbor Freight Multifunction Tool? Do I need proof of purchase to join the club?

And my front door sticks, is this due to the humidity from my fern plant at the other end of the house? Not to mention the radon, it's higher outside than inside! And I can't find the pilot light on the oven? I have it plugged into 240VAC but can't find the pilot? How about the cat litter smell? It's only been a year and it's time to change the litter already? Is this true? How about my heat, I hear it costs more to turn it back when no one is home then to leave it at 70F? And my washing machine won't drain, should I just cut a hole in the bottom of it and tape it when I want it to fill? My phone is messed up too. Every time I hear it ring I pick up, say hello, and someone is there talking to me. And I can't find the "dial", how can I dial numbers when it only has push buttons? Of course my van, it says 5-30 oil, should I put in straight 30? I'm in northern Alaska.

Reply to
Tony

Who said anything about cutting off the fuel? Dropping the throttle back to idle is more than sufficient to stop runaway acceleration.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Do you think the linkage is going to be moved to idle, pedal and all? Do you think you can move it at one end only?

Most likely the cable outer sheath at the throttle end would be moved. Using mechanical means can cause more problems than might be solved. If the contraption jams, you might have runaway conditions more often than without the kluge.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

but most modern cars have probably 30, and some upwards of 100, different computers.

Reply to
chaniarts

Sure. Governments mandate things. It's what they do. The difference between Republicans and Democrats is what they mandate. Republicans want to run my private life and Democrats want to run my public life.

The Republicans want to tell me who I can marry, who I can sleep with, what I can put in my body, and what surgical procedures I can have. The Democrats want to tell me who I can hire, what I have pay them, what benefits I have to give, who I sell/rent my house to, and what cars I can buy.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

No. At least on my Infiniti, the engine runs just fine with the fob out of the car. It just won't start with the fob out of the car.-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Wether or not there's a door lock computer is irrelevent.

There's just one controlling the engine, the ECU.

Do you have some insane notion that there's one computer for each spark plug and another bunch for the injectors, etc?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Now who is making assumptions? The high performance street driving I took as a Paramedic did not include any training about run away acceleration. -- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

no.

however, there are multiple computers controlling the engine, and all it's assocated subsystems, at least on mine, which is a 94. one would assume that more modern cars have more computers to better control emissions, since the current laws are much more strict than in 94.

all the functions don't have to reside within one computer. they are networked together and cooperate and share data amongst themselves.

Reply to
chaniarts

nope.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Why do you think the cable needs to be moved _at all_ for the engine computer to reduce fuel flow?

Reply to
Doug Miller

:

Well, I've rented hundreds of cars from Hertz, Avis, Enterprise and third tier companies as well. The vast majority of them in the USA, but some in Europe too. And I never gotten any quick course on the cabin controls or anything else. Some of the top rental companies now have programs like that started by Hertz Gold. The car is waiting for you with the keys in it. When you get off the airport bus, you walk over to it, get in, and show your identification at the gate on the way out.

Reply to
trader4