Snow Cover On Roof Provides Wind Protection?

hereiam@home. (* U S *) wrote in news:4b870971.40976109 @news.usenetmonster.com:

Why is snow a good insulator? Fresh, undisturbed snow is composed of a high percentage of air trapped among the lattice structure of the accumulated snow crystals. Since the air can barely move, heat transfer is greatly reduced. Fresh, uncompacted snow typically is 90-95 percent trapped air.

Reply to
Red Green

I tried to indicate the difference between official responders, like police, fire and EMT's...not "I'm out of fuel. Gotta go to the store." I've been through blizzards where police and EMT's used snowmobiles for transport and nobody else was to be on the roads.

Reply to
norminn

I spent some time in Alaska. It would be 20 - 30F below zero and the huskies would just lie down and get buried in the falling snow. We'd go out for walks and see these mounds of snow start to move and up would pop the huskies, all warm and toasty ready to go romping through the tundra.

On days when we didn't get snow, the dogs would find a place to huddle together out of the wind to try and keep warm.

They certainly knew how good of an insulator the snow was.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

When I was a kid, I used to make snow caves, and burry myself in snow. Much warmer than being on the surface.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j27g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

Frank Zappa had words of wisdom for you then.

Reply to
Red Green

Moot point anyway- gas station will be closed, because the guy with the pump keys wasn't able to leave home.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

snipped-for-privacy@j27g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

Great Googly Moogly!

Ya know, for some reason, just the look of that disgusts me. Don't know why...it just does.

I drag my dogs out of the driveway before I let them go so I don't have to look at it. If the wife or kids let them leave their marks, I grab a shovel and move/cover it.

I'll plan to get help for that...someday.

Sincerely,

Father Vivian O'Blivion

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nope, my roadrunner went out with the electric..

Reply to
willshak

The power outage was so widespread, my cable, internet, and telephone were out. Even if I went out to get gas, I wouldn't now which direction to go to find a station that had power.

Reply to
willshak

Stormin Mormon wrote the following:

The power, cable TV and Roadrunner came back on at about 8:20 PM tonight. For a while we didn't have landline phone either. I saw some utility guys from Michigan earlier today working on the lines. My Generac 5500XL generator ran through about 30 gallons of gas for the

72 hours running the whole house. It has a 7 gallon tank and it lasted for about 16 hours a tank full, so that works out to about 0.44 gallons an hour. I have a lot of broken branches to clean up, and a 12" diameter Maple tree trunk split off from the main trunk and cut a nice junk out of my 6' high wooden privacy fence.
Reply to
willshak

Sure, unless you can get some very little guy to crawl under the snow and lift up the shingles.

I've installed a cooler so I can keep snow on my roof all year long.

Reply to
mm

Yeah, I'm in Maryland too. Baltimore. I had a wedding to go to, two weeks ago Wednesday. The roads were bad until we got 20 miles south of DC, but after that it was fine.

My friend had a Rav 4. I don't know what that is. Today my friend says it has unintended acceleration, but only a little. !!!!

I don't know. He did all the driving, 10 or 11 hours each way.

And when we got to Myrtle Beach S. Car., it snowed there too. :(

Reply to
mm

This is outrageous.

We at People for the Ethical Treatment of Air think that the air should be set free.

Reply to
mm

I think that the air should be tagged before it's released.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I strongly suggest that anyone thinking about getting a gasoline-powered generator for backup power consider:

  1. How much power is REALLY NEEDED?
  2. How much gasoline is required per hour of power

After reflecting on the above and doing a bit of calulating, I determined that I could get by with the 1600 running watts, 2000 surge watts, provided by a little Honda EU2000i. The EU2000i weighs a bit more than 50 lbs, has the dimensions of a medium-sized suitcase and produces clean power.

I routinely, and concurrently, power a 1/3 hp natural gas furnace blower, avg-sized refrigerator, small chest freezer and the odd radio and/or light. I can choose to power a 1/3 hp sump pump and hook up the frig and freezer only as-needed, determined by using a couple of battery-powered cheap thermometers with remote probes .

I've powered ALL of those things at the same time and RUN FOR MORE THAN

8 HOURS ON LESS THAN THE APPROX. 1 GALLON CAPACITY FUEL TANK. I suppose if any 2 or more of the inductive loads tried to START at the same time, it would trigger an overload cutoff -- merely an inconvenience -- but that hasn't happened yet.

I can feel pretty comfortable keeping 5 gallons of FRESH gasoline on hand along with a Super Siphon in case I need to tap into the car's gas tank -- no anti-siphon tank por moi "vintage" automobile. ;)

I believe, for most people, the fuel storage requirements for a given generator should be a MAJOR consideration in deciding what generator is appropriate.

Reply to
Erma1ina

That's what I meant. You should be allowed to go out for gas because it's an emergency when you can't heat your house...or post to a.h.r. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If I owned one of those Toyota vehicles affected, I would install an auxiliary engine kill switch before I drove it again.

Reply to
Tony

And when you kill the engine you loose both power steering and power brakes.

Reply to
LouB

Loose it, or it becomes more difficult? That would be a shame if I couldn't steer or brake my car because I ran out of gasoline. Are there any vehicles like that?

When I taught my niece to drive, in a large empty parking lot, at about

35mph I told her I was turning off the engine. Then I told her to make a left hand turn. She's a tiny little thing but she struggled and it did turn. As far as the brakes, if it's vacuum assisted you still have normal braking until you pump it too many times and runs out of the vacuum. Don't pump them, apply pressure until you stop.

I told her that if her engine ever dies for whatever reason, that will be the result, so be ready for it.

Reply to
Tony

Better than uncontrolled acceleration, undoubtedly.

Unless they're fully hydraulic steering (of which I know of no autos; do have such a tractor), it's only the power assist that's lost, not steering. Same w/ the brakes, it's only the power assist.

The actual recommendation is to shift to neutral and let it over-rev; what possibility/likelihood of blowing an engine is I've not firm estimate but if that happens you're in same boat anyway...

--

Reply to
dpb