Snapper Walk Behind Mowers??

Cuz they are imbedded deeply in the ground and only a few inches stick up? That's what I have an acre or so of, below the area that has been finished as lawn. If you were to bring your pick and shovel, you will find that many are too large for even several persons to pick up, if you cared to spend days digging around them. Obviously OP doesn't care to take on a large land clearing project with heavy equipment, but is only trying to keep the brush under control.

Uhhh, you guys act like there are just a dozen loose rocks lying around on top of the ground that can be picked up by hand. Come out to my place and see the acre+ of projecting rocks that are merely the tip of the much large deeply embedded rocks (boulders to you) that cannot easily be gathered up.

(This is an open area below the acre or so that has been finished off for lawn - we have a total of about 12 acres - the rest is wooded.)

We have a heavy duty belt driven large self propelled mower with a thick blade that can withstand bouncing off the ocassional fixed rock. Another popular method is to use the various heavy duty wheeled walk behind string trimmers. Those are OK for grass, but we have a lot of woody shoots or actual sprouting trees that come up, so we need more cutting power.

A person without heavy equipment could not possible "clean up" the rocks in my yard, and I expect his too.

I bought a new 21" push Snapper in 1978 for about $300 and was told by my boss that I was insane spending that much money. K-mart had mover for $70. Mine has a magnesium deck, so it doesn't rust. Originally it came with a 4 hp B&S engine. It lasted 20 years and it was replaced with a 5hp. A very simple mover and can still pick up the clippings if the bagger is attached. I've replaced the tires twice and need to do it again, so the machine has been used hard. I still have the original blade, it has hit stones and it has the dings. I can't speak for the models sold today, but the one I own has been dependable and the engines great. I change the oil each season and try to remember to start the engine a few times during the winter months and let it run a few minutes before shutting down.

John

Reply to
John