"Smart" Meters made them sick

Page 11 of 13
On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 16:47:14 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Quite possible the drive just calved by itself without external input??
Not likely, as I lost three drives on the same day.

Quite possible the drive just calved by itself without external input??
On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 05:59:33 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Not the same brand and model from the same batch?? I bought 5 WD black 500gb drives on the same day. 3 failed that day. 2 stayed on my shelf and failed within 3 months - either on installation or shortly after. They were within 100 in production sequence according to the serial number.
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 00:12:01 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I have seen lots of bad drives. Far more than half are W/D Caviar.
I will not even buy one. I do agree the real old Fujitu may be the best (1.6 g era) I still have a few that work but you can't do much with that small a drive unless you are still running W/98 on something.

Personally I don't careHOW good the WARRANTY is - it is the quality of the drive that matters. The cost to the customer of restoring even a good backup is generally higher than the cost of the drive - and if there is any problem with the restore - - - .Or if the backup is a couple days old and data is lost- - - - -.
I'd rather have a drive (or just about anything else) that has a reputation for long life and high quality with no warranty than a piece of crap with a 15 year warranty with no-questions asked next day replacement.
Lifetime warranty car batteries that get replaced every 2 years are a pet peeve of mine - along with "lifetime" mufflers that last a year and a half - and you end up paying to replace all the pipes every second time, as well as the labour. Much rather head off to the local custom bender and have a custom bent stainless system installed for less than the price of OEM, just slightly more than aftermarket jobber parts, and have it last 15 years.
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 12:08:43 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I have started mirroring a lot of my drives. They are so cheap, why not. Then a lot of the worry goes away. That is still no reason not to have good backups of stuff you really don't want to lose.
I use CD and DVD recordable disks for backups.
I have started mirroring a lot of my drives. They are so cheap, why not. Then a lot of the worry goes away. That is still no reason not to have good backups of stuff you really don't want to lose.
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 07:51:46 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

That's fine if your files do not excede 700mb. 4gb or 8gb depending on your media -but try backing up an 80GB database- - - - - -
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 14:44:34 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Drives are so cheap that I stopped fooling with optical media for backups years ago. They are still good for software, drivers etc and you should have bootable tools on CD but my backup is to other drives in other machines on my network and drives in static bags in a safe.
Sleeve of DVD costs about $25 and has 450 gb of space. Totally unable to corrupted by a virus or trojan that comes along later. What does a 450 gb external drive cost? Can it get a trojan later, and die like my two external drives?
Drives are so cheap that I stopped fooling with optical media for backups years ago. They are still good for software, drivers etc and you should have bootable tools on CD but my backup is to other drives in other machines on my network and drives in static bags in a safe.

Still the top posting idiot. Can't you see that everyone else is carrying on in the approved manner? I think you're hitting on the LSD too hard.
So, what kind of measure is "sleeve"?
Sounds like about 10, since your normal DVD is 4.5G. How many DVDs have you used so far? I hope you're not using re-writable, because they don't read back worth a damn.
I'd really enjoy backing up my 100G of music files on 25 DVDs, I can't think of a better way to spend a few hours.
Buy a 1 Terrabyte USB disk drive for $75 and schedule automatic backups every night without manual intervention. Buy 2 if you insist on taking one of them off-site.
But go ahead, continue to try to convince us that optical media is the way to go.
BTW, a virus didn't "destroy" your drive.
--
Dan Espen

Only if your reader or writer is defective. We used DVD-RW disks for backup until the database got too big - then went to DVD-DL (8gb) untill we outgree them - now use NAS drives

Agreed. If it did, it would pretty well be a "first"
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes:

Just my experience with CD-RW.
I tried them with 3 machines other than the machine they were burnt on. Only 1 could see the data.
I tried to read one recently 4 years after it was burnt, no data.
With my experience, I'd worry that the backups weren't all readable. You don't find out until you need the data.
I actually do drive to drive backup (internal drives). I don't feel a need to take the data off site but if I did, I'd use a USB disk.
--
Dan Espen

In my (rather extensive) experience with CDs, trouble reading a disk is usually a problem with the reader. There were a couple widely distributed drives that started failing to read burned disks insde of 2 yezrs, and stopped reading anything within 5.
An LG drive will usually read anything you can throw at it even when over 10 years old. BENQ were good too,
Thanks for the field report. I've heard that differernt brands of disk have different archival times.
writes:
Just my experience with CD-RW.
I tried them with 3 machines other than the machine they were burnt on. Only 1 could see the data.
I tried to read one recently 4 years after it was burnt, no data.
With my experience, I'd worry that the backups weren't all readable. You don't find out until you need the data.
I actually do drive to drive backup (internal drives). I don't feel a need to take the data off site but if I did, I'd use a USB disk.
--
Dan Espen

gb

ernal

But 2 if you insist on taking one off-site? A number greater that 1 is essential with the above outlined scenario. You're proposing to keep a USB drive in the PC and have it auto backup every night, right? OK, so, sometime prior to backup, the PC gets infected with a virus. That night the PC backs itself up to the USB, complete with virus. Or the virus wipes out some essential part of the drive, then 4 hours later the PC backs itself up. Goodbye data.
That's why the typical backup strategy keeps at least several backups going back in time, regardless of where they are stored. The exact number and timeframe depend on how critical and complete the restore must be.
On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 05:10:24 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

At a certain point you have to ask, what is this irreplaceable data? Pictures? Music? That tends to be static data and you really only need to back up incrementally. It is also the type of thing you can store in the cloud, either in a web site dedicated to backups or just in web space on your own domain. I have areas that can't actually be navigated to from the regular web. My main long term backup is just the fact that I store pictures and music on a large number of machines, some that are not even here. (others in the family)
Financial data is never stored on my PC. I keep it on removable drives that are only plugged in when I am working with it and usually not on a web or net connected machine. That is the good thing about actual "computing". You don't need a very big machine to do it. An old W/98 100mz PC will do just fine
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 19:47:25 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Just bear in mind "burned" media is not archival. I have some 10 year old CDs that do not read anymore. They were stored in jewel cases in a CD box in a cabinet
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 21:22:42 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

And I have some over 15 years old that still read just fine. In fact I've never seen one that doesn't read now that read properly upon completion that is not scratched.in the last 15 or more years. In the real early years there were some "semi transparent" discs that lost their reflectivity and were unreadable within months. And some older readers could not read a burned disc, even the day it was written.
Computer wizzard #2 tells me that Phillips disks last longer than others. When I finish this sleeve (of 100) no name disks, I'll buy Phillips later.
I have some disks that go back about a decade. Some work fine, others do not read.