Small battery backup?

Page 1 of 3

I live in a remote mountain area where brief electricity outages of just a few seconds occur several times a week. Resetting the clocks on small appliances (microwave, coffee maker, answering machine, etc) has become an all but useless task. Does anyone know of a very small battery backup or UPS of some sort that would be suitable for this application? I don't need enough power to run the appliance, multiple outlets, or anything like that . . . I just want to keep the power from being interrupted so I won't have to reset everything every time the electricity goes out for a second.
TIA for any information anyone might be able to provide.
Mary Carlson wrote:

I think I've paid as little as $15 for APC type units from Staples to protect my computers. These things even have surge protection.
Frank wrote:

Won't support a microwave oven, maybe not coffee maker either. It has always annoyed me that the manufacturers won't invest a little more in power-dip ridethru for digital clocks. I suppose it wouldn't be a selling feature.
Bryce wrote:

Sure it would. But the big box mart tells people the only thing that is important is price.
We have a digital alarm clock radio in the bedroom that had a small compartment in the bottom for a backup battery. If the power dropped off the display blanked but the battery kept the RTC running. I tried to find a new one with the same feature and they just don't exist.
George wrote:

I have a Sony clock radio that I purchased recently that not only keeps the time when the power is out but I believe it also automagically adjusts for Daylight Savings Time. It wasn't that expensive. I don't have it with me right now so I don't have the model but it is currently in production.
TDD

They are very common here in Florida, I suppose you could find them online (Amazon?)
George wrote:

Oh No! I have two of them with a 9 volt backup battery. Now I'll have to look at the new ones cause you made me curious.
Bryce wrote:

'low batt' light comes on in a month. At 4 bucks a shot, I'm not inclined to replace them that often, since the whole clock only costs 15. I'm fine with blanking the display, just store the time and alarm setting- that doesn't take much juice.
I have one of those WWV-fed 'atomic clocks' that also eats batteries, and you have to force-reset it 2-3 times whenever you change battery, before it gets back in synch.
Does anybody really know what time it is? -- aem sends.....
[snip]

A backup battery should last a few years (unless you have a lot of power outages, of have one that uses the battery for an alarm).
I have several clocks with backup batteries. They usually run fast when on battery (for example: clock set right before 1-hour power outage at 2:00, when power comes on clock shows 3:24 instead of 3:00). However, the problem isn't too bad during an outage of just a few seconds.
BTW, at least Daylight Saving Time is good for SOMETHING, an opportunity to correct those clock drifts.
The biggest problem here is equipment I want on but it suffers from "power amnesia". Most TVs and many other devices with electronic controls have this problem.
[snip]

Mark Lloyd
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:31:39 -0600, Mark Lloyd

I think these things use a cheap RC network to replace the 60hz timebase when the power is off. I guess they err on the "safe" side when they choose the "C". Nobody got in trouble for being to work early.
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 14:36:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
[snip]

Probably. I've had an old Radio Shack clock radio made when they included schematic diagrams in the manual. That one showed the RC.

Although I'd like to know it's early.

Mark Lloyd
aemeijers wrote:

Does anybody really care?
Jon
On 11/15/2009 7:00 AM aemeijers spake thus:

Does anybody really care?
--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

If so I can't imagine why

I used to have several outages like that a week, it was a loose conection where power came to the house. For only a few seconds a week, maybe wind is affecting cables that need attention. The power co checks this stuff for free, call them and have them figure exactly what is the cause. You probably dont need to buy anything to get good power.
ransley wrote:

She did mention it was a remote mountain area. Likely the area is fitted with automatic reclosing breakers so the brief dips were likely the branch that blew across the line or the now toasted squirrel. Previously I'll bet it was a few hour wait for the utility to drive over, find the issue and change a fuse.

Mountain area or not, a few seconds every week is likely something loose and easy to fix. She should simply ask a neighbor if they have the same issue. My issue was a temporary clamp that became permanent and was loose, it could even be inside her home in the main panel.
ransley wrote:

Or not, I did give you an accurate reason why it happens and it entirely possible it has nothing to do with something being loose.
"Mary Carlson" wrote in message

I have the same problem. I bought battery operated wall clocks and no longer reset any of the electronic clocks.
For important stuff like my computer, I bought a UPS at an office supply store - the largest capacity they have.
I suppose for your phone, you could do the same, except would only need the smallest UPS.
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:04:28 -0800, "Bill"

You could use a multi-handset cordless phone. Then you can have a phone in every room but need just one UPS.
BTW, there are some cordless phones that also connect to a cell phone (using Bluetooth), so you can have the multi-handset advantage with it too. I know of both Uniden and AT&T brands.

Mark Lloyd