Backup battery problem

I use a deep-discharge battery for power for a light and a fan in the event of an A/C power failure. It looks like a car battery. Anyhow, after years of service, with a small charger, I've started having problems with charger to battery contact. The charger uses the usual claw-type clamp-on connecter. I've tried using one of those sleeve-with-a-wire-brush-inside cleaners to rotate on the battery terminals. Doesn't help for long. Every few days the charger light goes goes from green to red and I have to fiddle with the connections to the battery to resume trinkle-charging.

Any suggestions on something to keep the connection working? Any way to clean the charger clamp on maybe? File it?

Small problem but annoying.

TIA

Reply to
KenK

I suspect your problem is not with the battery terminals, unless they are all corroded for some reason. I've used battery tenders on all kinds of batteries, car, motorcycle, boat, etc and never had a problem with the jaw connectors not making contact. Are you saying that the light never goes back to green, even after a couple days? And that it goes back to green instantly when you just rotate the jaws a bit, without removing them? If you're removing them and then it changes, I'd say it's probably because you removed them, then restored them, not because of poor contact.

Reply to
trader4

loose wire in the clamp itself?

Reply to
chaniarts

Do you grease the terminals after you clean them? Axle grease does wonders.

.

Any suggestions on something to keep the connection working? Any way to clean the charger clamp on maybe? File it?

Small problem but annoying.

TIA

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Could be, or something starting to go wrong in the battery tender..... IDK. It just seems odd that those jaw style clamps would have a continuos problem making contact on battery terminals. As I said, I've used them on all kinds of batteries for winter storage in my garage and never had a probllem. The lead terminals are soft and the clamps bite in.

Reply to
trader4

try the battery tender on a different battery and see if the problem is unique to that one battery. Also, maybe there is some internal damage and electrolyte is somehow working up to the terminal. Out a permanent clamp on the battery and connect the battery tender to the clamp and see what happens.

Reply to
hrhofmann

nt of an A/C power failure. It looks like a car battery. Anyhow, after year s of service, with a small charger, I've started having problems with charg er to battery contact. The charger uses the usual claw-type clamp-on connec ter. I've tried using one of those sleeve-with-a-wire-brush-inside cleaners to rotate on the battery terminals. Doesn't help for long. Every few days the charger light goes goes from green to red and I have to fiddle with the connections to the battery to resume trinkle-charging. Any suggestions on something to keep the connection working? Any way to clean the charger clam p on maybe? File it? Small problem but annoying. TIA -- "Where there's smok e there's toast!" Anon

Use a marine battery with wingnuts or a more modern car battery that has bo lt holes and hardwire the charger. Or those battery terminal clamps that c onvert a regular battery to the new style.

Reply to
jamesgang

Auto parts store: Battery terminal cleaner and battery terminal protector spray or grease. The stuff works in the harsh under hood environment of a vehicle so you should have no problem with a battery that's indoors. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

the battery now years old may be bad. Batteries last only so long.

Reply to
bob haller

I have a similar setup but with two deep cycle marine batteries to power my sump pump. I would check the electrolyte to see if it is in the "green" scale which will give you an indication if the battery itself is not the problem

Reply to
NJOracle

a bit ot maybe but... if you deep discharge only a few times a year, then it probably does not pay to buy deep discharge batteries. a regular battery can be deep discharged a few times without damage and cost half of a deep discharge battery mark

Reply to
makolber

to buy deep discharge batteries. a regular battery can be deep discharged a few times without damage and cost half of a deep discharge battery

Absolutely agree with what you say but I spent the extra money for peace of mind and a dry basement :-)

Reply to
NJOracle

t pay to buy deep discharge batteries.  a regular battery can be deep dis charged a few times without damage and cost half of a deep discharge batter y

well rather than one deep cycle battery, 3 car batteries.

More capacity at the same cost. Its unlikely a high capacity battery bank will get deeply discharged, but a single battery may and be damaged:(

Reply to
bob haller

Almost always, I redo the alligator clips by soldering. Crimps will fail. I just did one that actually fell off.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Just guesses here but my first thoughts are bad charger, dirty terminals, outlet going bad or battery going bad.

Reply to
Doug

Oren wrote in news:17e4k8du1c0fhn5qka43pclskd8p2i7c2r@

4ax.com:

Hard to read the receipt. Looks like about 2 1/2 years. Should still be ok.

Next I'm trying battery terminal cleaner; will pick some up this weekend. If that doesn't do it, then one by one the other things suggested here.

Reply to
KenK

KenK wrote in news:XnsA1836D50D7DF3invalidcom@130.133.4.11:

Very little. I live alone. Showers and washing dishes mainly.

$0.155. Monthly bill usually ~$60, about $20 more when I run the A/C.

If I just use the gas range I'd have to still spend $70 a year for propane tank rent.

Reply to
KenK

Could it be that the charger goes to red when the battery is fully charged and only shows green when it's being charged? I have some rechargeable lanterns that act that way, the indicator goes to red when fully charged.

pli

Reply to
Pavel314