where to find mountain mahogany??

long ago I carved some mountain mahogany and loved it, but can't find it for sale. any ideas? it turns out there are several species with that name...the one I carved in the past was from Idaho. maybe the others are just as good? rich

Reply to
res055a5

Tue, Nov 2, 2004, 3:36am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@gte.net (res055a5) moans: long ago I carved some mountain mahogany and loved it, but can't find it for sale. any ideas?

Where'd ya look?

Woodfinder.

JOAT When you choose an action, you choose the consequences.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Reply to
Pat Barber

i found the last piece i carved on the Salmon River in Idaho. rich

Reply to
res055a5

the wood. i emailed both. i guess i'm going to have to spend some vacation time in idaho, picking up fallen trees. rich

Reply to
res055a5

you can find it in south west Idaho in the Owahyees, it's fairly common, but they don't grow very big, most of the Owahyees are BLM land so it's permits costs $7 per coard. also you can find Desert, or scrub Mahogany thoughout the southern Idaho desert, but it's even smaller, but it's VERY hard, almost to the point of being unworkable, but it's very attrative. my wifes Grandpa made a grandfather clock out of some, it's nice.

Reply to
Richard Clements

Have you had any luck finding this wood? I've been watching with fascination.

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
res055a5

I can't imagine anyone finding mountain mahogany (the kind that grows in Idaho) any place except in the field. It is essentially a bush and certainly no one would cut it for commercial use. Of course it isn't mahogany and the mountains can just be hills. The scientific names is Cercocarpus ledifolius.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

hey if you do, drop me a line, I have been trying, with out much success, to talk from friends into going out and looking for some. I'm just out side of Boise

Reply to
Richard Clements

My friend was a hunting guide in Nevada, he used to bring home mountain mahogany pieces for us to use in the grill. He brought it back from somewhere in the Ruby mountain area of Nevada.

Reply to
Fredrick

I would start looking there.

Reply to
Leon

In the Eastern US yellow birch is often called mountain mahogany. It was the preferred wood for wooden hand tools like wooden bodied planed before being mostly replaced by beech up north and live oak down south.

Reply to
Doug