shower head

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 11:59:16 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Maybe, don't know yet. Next option is a sewing needle. thanks.

Stick with the vinegar it removes the buildup. Poking at the holes only serves to put the crud into the shower head where it will eventually get flushed back into the holes.
cb

I am an N scale railroad modeler. I use these minature drill bits and pin vises all the time.
I get mine from Micro-Mark http://www.micromark.com/ . I am not associated with MicroMark in any way wxcept as a customer.

household VINEGAR will remove those mineral deposits,and cheaper than CLR or Lime-Away. all of them are mild acids.
did you bother to check the Moen website? maybe they have cleaning info.
the "gold"(brass?) plating may be titanium nitride,and not much is going to harm that. brass plating would need a coating to prevent tarnish,TiN doesn't tarnish.
"John Carter";interesting.... are you familiar with Edgar Rice Burrough's Martian series? Have you seen Princess of Mars or John Carter of Mars?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I have been told of this one, but I more often am asked if I am that Dr. John Carter from the old TV series "ER". I do have a PhD and where I received my degree, they told me I should use the title, I did only professionally. SInce I retired, I am just plain old John Cartr.

The problem is Energy Star madness. 14 years ago you could buy a showerhead that was self cleaning by virtue of the fact that the holes were large enough that the flow of water would clean the mineral deposits.
These days, Water Sense shower heads are limited to less than 2 gpm, even less than the previous low flow 2.5 gpm heads. The only way you can get any kind of performance with that low a flow is to make needle size holes that plug up in the presence of any kind of mineral deposit.
So you get a crappy shower and get to constantly clean or replace the shower head.

That's the right answer.

Normally I would agree, I know it's safe on chrome plated brass, if it's real gold plating it should be OK as well, if it's "gold-tone" plating who knows?
nate

I would take the shower head off, so I don't get any CLR on the rest of the stuff.
First, I'd take it off and run a pin backwards thorugh each hole, to get out little stones. If it's deposits, I'd use somethng just big enough. I don't see how that could fail.
But if I still wanted to sue clr, if the head disassembles, I'd only use clr on the plate with the holes.

Result..... I decided to take the high road and just submerge the head in a bag of white vinegar taped around it. Funny but after I got it secured in place, the bag sprung a leak but with quick thinking, I got tape to stop it and it worked good enough. I left it submerged for about 9 hours. My wife used the shower after my repair and said it was noticeably better. In hindsight I should have taken the head off but I was so careful when I put it on with plumber's tape 6 months earlier, I didn't really want to disturb it so that was the reason I took the high road.