Shower diverter

My shower diverter was broke when i moved in to my house. i finally found a new one and was told it was a delta. It is a 3 handle type for shower/tub. when i put the new one in it is TIGHT and will not turn. Is there a certain way it has to go in or something? Here is a pic of what it looks like. Any help would be appreciated. Bob