Should I insulate my garage ceiling?

Ive got a two story house with a 20x20 garage on one side. The garage wall which is the side of the house is insulated I'm sure but the other two exterior walls are not drywalled or insulated either. The garage door is some metal/plastic composite or whatever they use these days. The ceiling is closed in with drywall. (I heard building codes require that now) When I went through the acess hole into the garage ceiling, I noticed there is no insulation up there. Is it worthwhile to do so? My wife thinks not because the garage is not heated. I do not plan to insulate the 2 exterior garage walls because Ive got shelves up and have nailed some things to the studs. If it is a good idea though, I might do it. Opinions?

Reply to
Guy Noir - private eye

Do you plan on useing the garage for hobbies? Woodworking, tinkering on cars? If so, then insulate the walls and ceiling, and paint it all semi gloss white. It really does not cost that much. Insulation will even out the temps quite a bit. It won't be soo hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The white paint will briten it up allot. Next step, add heat and air conditioning! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

As long as the house is insulated from the garage, you're doing all you can to save heat. The garage ceiling isan;'t insulated, even if it is the same attic as the rest of the house, because there's no heat in the garage you'd want to stop loss into the attic.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Thanks for the replies. I do use the garage as a workshop, so insulating is a must.

Reply to
Guy Noir - private eye