shifting toilet seat

can someone please please tell me how to stop a toilet seat from shifting all over the place when you sit down, very uncomfortable feeling. We have tried replacing the seats but it still happens.

-------------------------------------

*** *** ***....** **...*** **........** **.......** *** **..........*.........** *** **.....** **..................** **.....**

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 354114 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
rotorhds2022

(a) Tighten the nuts.

(b) Lose weight.

Reply to
Nucular Reaction

c) get a seat with better hinges

yes, I obsess about ALL things mechanical. My john has a seat with a chromed solid brass hinge. Rock on.

seriously, I'm not ostentatious, plain white painted wood is good enough for me. But it is nice not to have a) rusty and/or corroded and peeling hinges b) nasty discolored plastic hinges or c) a wobbly seat. It's the little things that just work that come together to make a home nice.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Take the seat out, and measure the diameter of the holes, and the diameter of the bolts. Odds are the bolts are too skinny, or you reversed or left out the cone-shaped washers that came with the bolt kit. The pointy end of cone goes in the hole, to keep the bolt centered. Get bigger bolts, or go to a hardware store that sells real hardware, and buy appropriate soft bushings to keep the bolt snug in the hole.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Get a good wooden seat. Those cheap plastic padded ones won't hold a big fat person.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

A man's toilet is his castle?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Damn straight. If you have a bad "first S" in the morning, how's the rest of your day going to go?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

LIKE SHIT!

Reply to
evodawg

I made a tool from 1/2 inch copper tubing that is slotted at the end to fit most any of the plastic toilet seat nuts I've encountered - it's especially great for removing nuts that have been in place for a while ...

Joe

Reply to
J O E

Not *those* nuts...the ones on the bolts holding the seat in place. Mine are actually plastic and can be tightened by hand.

Reply to
Nucular Reaction

What about the ones on the toilet?

Reply to
Mike O.

The chrome will peel, the brass will then turn green. Oh, it will last for a while but ultimately piss will prevail.

I say that from 30 years of experience with them. Off and on over those years I've made toilet seats. I did do because the wooden ones available for purchase were badly made and tended to split. Also because I could use neat woods like koa...teak...walnut...curly maple...

My seats were strong: none ever split (all half laps). They were gorgeous: book matched tops. They were comfy: finish as smooth as a baby's ass. Naturally, I desired gorgeous hinges too; not too fond of chrome so I tried lacquered brass. That's OK if you take them off once in a while, polish and re-lacquer. A nuisance. OK, chrome is gauche but long lasting, right? Well, it lasts longer than lacquer but fails in a not so long time.

YMMV but I doubt it :(

dadiOH

Reply to
dadiOH

When you were sanding your toilet seats, did you have a bare bottomed baby at hand for quality control purposes or is there some sort of gauge for measuring smoothness? It would be interesting to have a set of literal smoothness gauges such as a stand with various representations of body parts: Baby's bottom, woman,s bottom, bald head, etc. Perhaps NIST could come up with specifications for the manufacturing of such measuring instruments?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Well, what I've found is that the hinges that I recommended last longer than anything I've purchased off the shelf at the Borg. My previous seat had hinges that appeared similar to those to which I posted the link, but they apparently were made of chromed pot metal and peeled within a year. The ones on there now, with only "normal" cleaning, still look fine.

nate

Reply to
N8N

OK, you got me, I admit it, no baby was involved. However, my wife was young at the time and I deemed her butt to be a satisfactory substitution. Unfortunately - due to the fact she is a brunette - she can't be used as a RCH substitute.

dadiOH

Reply to
dadiOH