sheetrock substitute

I inherited a place with a 3 bay garage that has what appears to be 50 year old brown sheetrock that is in horrible shape. I would like to replace it with something. I'm told that 1/2" 4'X8' sheetrock is currently going for $14 in this area of CT. Any suggestions for a less expensive replacement? Thanks,
Frank
On Sat, 01 May 2004 20:41:21 +0000, Frank Dennis wrote:

Depending on what "horrible shape" is, a skim coat of joint compound/plaster might bring it back.
14$ holy shit! I just bought 48 sheets at HD this afternoon for 6.10 a sheet, their regular price....You might want to cross the border and head to MA...be well worth it for that savings.

Rip it off the wall, pull the nails, and leave it be. Why would anyone want sheetrock in a garage? (Unless you live in the garage).

Because some of us take pride in what we owna nd want to make it look good. It is also easier to care for and to keep a caot of light paint to make it brighter. Many of us use the garage as a shop. I'm still insulating mine and sheetrocked the half already done. Painted the half that is done white. Lot easier working out there now. Ed
Form follows function. It ain't a living space it's a garage.
If you must cover the walls with something, use 1/4 inch pegboard and paint it white.
At least it's useful wallcovering...garage or shop.
wrote in message

good.
white.
On Sat, 01 May 2004 21:00:46 -0500, me wrote:

If it's attached to the house, there are fire codes to be considered.

The OP did say is was detached. But he may spend a lot of time out there and wants it to be bright and clean looking. Ed

Real common for sheet rock to turn brown especially in a gargage. It was never intended to be exposed, ie with out paint. Prime with killz or Aluminum paint and then paint to your color of choice. Might take several coats.