Sheetrock and doorframes

    The sheet rock I've put up is pretty good in corners, and where it meets the floor and ceiling. But because of bad framing (not straight), the studs alongside the door frame result in the sheet rock standing above ("proud") of the frame by anywhere from 1/4 to 3/8 inch.
How do I deal with this? Is there "L" trim that will meet the frame but be cutout behind to allow for the edge of the sheet rock? Or do I shave the rock down and tape/mud it?
I know that proper framing is the fix, but short of tearing the door frame apart, what can I do?
Thanks,
--
DaveC
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net
DaveC wrote:

The back of trim is hollowed out just for this. May not be hollowed out enough and you will play hell trying to miter corners.
<< The sheet rock I've put up is pretty good in corners, and where it meets the
floor and ceiling. But because of bad framing (not straight), the studs alongside the door frame result in the sheet rock standing above ("proud") of the frame by anywhere from 1/4 to 3/8 inch.
How do I deal with this? >>
Do you have a table saw? If so, rip some strips of the same wood as the door frame and build the frame out with them to the level of the drywall. Use Titebond III or similar glue and finishing the frames will be no problem. HTH
Joe
Joe Bobst wrote:

And since the drywall stands proud by varying amounts, you would have to build out the frame to the greatest amount, glue on and then trim flush to drywall with a router. This is really the best way to do it but is a lot more work than using trim hollowed out on the back.
If you decide to build out, it is easiest to trim with a router by building up part of the router base so it can ride just on the drywall - set the bit to the drywall level. The alternative is to use a trimming bit with bearing riding on the drywall. The problem with that is that the router base has to ride on the face of the frame (perpendicular to drywall) and you won't be able to rout all the way to the ends.