Share our blessings

Page 1 of 2
This is to wish all the good people on this NG Happy Holidays and a New Year of peace, health and prosperity.
At this holiday seasons, let us share our blessings with poor Bradley Manning, who is still in a Navy brig under inhuman -- read: "torture" conditions. He needs to hear from us. That our government can be so spiteful and do illegal things to people is no news, but what they're doing to this kid is beyond all limits. We must stand up for the rule of law!
He is being kept -- falsely -- under a "Prevention of Injury" rule. He is not a dangerous to himself; that is a slimy pretext. He can't get a night's sleep; they wake him every 5 minutes. He has NO exercise time. No pillow, no blanket. In solitary for the last few months. Cannot receive visitors. Has no reading matter. He is deteriorating mentally and physically. The govt's objective is to break him so he will turn on WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.
Please go to <freebradleymanning.org> and add your support.
****Not because you agree or disagree with WikiLeaks and Bradley Manning.**** That's not the point.
But because what is being done to this boy by our government is ILLEGAL. Our silence is complicity. What if it was your son?
Thank you for acting!
HP
HP
On 12/24/2010 4:36 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I totally agree with you that Bradly Manning should not be tortured and kept confined in inhumane conditions. The only humane thing to do, is to go ahead and execute him for treason as soon as possible.
TDD

He didn't commit treason.
On 12/24/2010 7:06 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

You are referring to the soldier who removed classified material from his workplace and gave it to WikiLeaks?
TDD

Shoot first and ask questions later?
On 12/24/2010 11:14 PM, Patrick Karl wrote:

What? You don't believe in deterrents or preventive measures.? :-)
TDD
On 12/24/2010 9:17 PM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

For chrissakes, Manning has NOT EVEN BEEN CHARGED WITH A CRIME YET!
Not by the military. Not by the Justice Department. Not by Sweden. Not by ANYBODY.
Doesn't this mean anything to you?
Guess not.

I will post some comments about McCain's "harsh treatment under another thread. Look for it.

No, they are absolutely correct. The military is acting like playground bullies, but this is not a playground, and Manning is a human being they are trying to break by torture.

I can't wait till it happens to you. Then you'll understand that it's not about bleeding hearts and do-gooders -- it's about the rule of the law as opposed to the rule of the jungle. Have you ever actually READ the Constitution and the Bill of Rights?
Higgs Boson wrote:

Is that last one nowadays a Bill Of Wishes??
Higgs Boson wrote:

I've read the Constitution; evidently you haven't.
"Article II
"The President shall be the Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States when called into the actual Service of the United States;..."
Some folks have difficulty wrapping their mind around the word "Chief" in the above declaration.
The Constitutional provisions regarding criminals (right to a lawyer, indictment by a grand jury, compulsory process for obtaining witnesses, etc.) do not apply to members of the armed forces. Military members are governed entirely by the UCMJ. Even appeals from their convictions do not go through the civilian court system, but instead to the Convening Authority, then up the chain of command.
The ONLY review by non-military courts is for habeas corpus
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I glanced through it but missed the part about intentional sleep deprivation. That part is troubling, if true.

I guess celebrities in detention are held in solitary at least sometimes just for their own protection. I wonder if the WikiLeaks guy would be arrested if he was in the U.S. over this. Our First Amendment would protect him I hope.

(falls down laughing with tears in eyes.)
This is not the U.S. that I grew up in -- maybe you too.
HB

I know it'd be a bother, but don't you think we ought to convict him of something first?
On 12/24/2010 11:07 PM, Patrick Karl wrote:

Oh, I'm sorry, I "Left" that out. (no pun intended) :-)
TDD

They should put the officer(s) that were in charge of him in the same brig.

But the eyewitness who posts on the Web site does.
?

Seems as though the boy did something wrong and he is being punished for it. If prison was tougher, people would be less inclined to break the law. . He does have limited TV viewing. Considering some of the shows on TV these days, maybe that is cruel.
On 12/24/2010 7:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

As I understand it, we're talking about someone who hasn't been convicted of anything. So how do you know he did anything wrong?
Should we just throw everybody into cruel prison and see who survives?
On 12/24/2010 11:11 PM, Patrick Karl wrote:

I can guarantee you that if were accused of a crime, I would be imprisoned under less than ideal conditions even though I hadn't been convicted of anything. :-)
TDD
?

He'll have his day in court. Meantime, he is put away the same as thousands of others have been. Don't like it? Change the system.