Servicing Home Generator (Kohler 12 kW)

Preventative maintenance contract with company that installed unit is $295 per year and calls for two annual visits to include oil change, new oil filter, new air filter, change spark plugs, check battery and charger, check output voltage, load test the unit, check connections, and check operation of unit.

Problem is that it's like pulling teeth to get the technicians out here and there are no other Kohler people in the area.

QUESTION: Can a general electrical contractor perform the duties above, or does he need specialized training in Kohler home generators?

Reply to
Ditzy Brunette

Any competent mechanic should be able to perform tests and maintenance. Changing all that stuff may be overkill; how much run-time does unit get per year? Whose engine is it? Onan?

Sounds like extortion.

Note that when testing unit (which likely should be done more than twice per year) you want to put it under load until temps stabilize. Not just a few minutes. I'd rotate fuel-supply, given the option.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

Well, it "exercises" itself once a week for 20 minutes

BUT

In the last year there have been only two power outages: one for five hours and another for two hours. However, this is much less than a typical year.

It's Kohler unit

500-gallon liquid propane tank installed 5/05 filled to 80% capacity, now down to 70%.

Mary

Reply to
Ditzy Brunette

I used to maintain commercial units. Most responsible mechanics can change oil & filters, and most responsible electricians can check voltages & connections. That covers 90% of your maintenance. But when you get into the electronics & timing of the transfer switch operation, that's where I'd want a trained person working on my unit.

-KC

Reply to
KC