Redneck 1 KW generator

Cost virtually free. Everything came from garage sales or the trash.

gfretwell

I assume that's an inverter on the right hand side, right?

How much can you power with a 1 KW generator - assuming the inverter is of decent quality?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There are several plans for these on the tubes, all involving an old lawnmower, a chevy alternator, a modest battery, and an inverter.

This would make an interesting week-end project if you already had a couple of the items.

Reply to
HeyBub

Well, a computer running is about 100 watts, so you could run, um, (mumble, mumble, carry the two), ah, TEN computers.

But the output could be more.

It's gotta be a function of the alternator capacity. 150 amps (1,800 watts) is common but alternators can go up to 350 amps (4,200 watts) or more.

Reply to
HeyBub

New 19.5 cu ft frige =3D 100w, 20- 9w cfls =3D 180w, newer tv 170w, computer, Dsl modem, 24" monitor 112w [ im looking at mine on a Kill a Watt] =3D 562w so I could power 2 houses with 1000w if I cut a few lights.

Reply to
ransley

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:51:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote Re Redneck

1 KW generator:

Is that really a 1kw inverter? It looks a bit small.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

If I remember correctly ( I know I am close), One HP can create 746 watts, so you only need a 2 HP motor to create approx 1500 watts. Then you need a Generator that can produce 1500 watts at 3600 RPM ( to get peak HP)and a battery big enough to store most of the energy and an inverter that will invert DC to AC.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

"HeyBub" wrote in news:o6ydndD4i5U3B8bXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

[audible chuckle]

Reply to
Red Green

if I'm not mistaken, that's a Delco 10SI alternator, that in best factory trim puts out 63A at 12V so that will be the limiting factor (e.g. assuming that you did get a 63A version and everything is lossless that's 6.3A at 120V or 756W - I realize that it's more like 14.5V but we're hand waving here)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Carry the two?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Computers think in binary.

Reply to
HeyBub

Actually it would put out about 13.5 volts with the built-in regulator and that could give as much as 850 watts if used as-is. I have used one to produce up to 60 amps at about 51 volts which would be over 3000 watts. In order to achieve that you really need about 6 HP. The definition of one HP may be 746 watts but in the real world you get more like 500 watts per horsepower, maybe a bit more.

Reply to
Ulysses

That is a 500w inverter, there is another one you can't see on the other side. I can run several fans, my PC a TV and a CFL light or two. I have a propane fridge so that is plenty for me. I would like to find a cheap 1000w or 1500w inverter in a garage sale. This is a 100a alternator so it will do the deed. The on board battery is just for regulation purposes. I use my golf cart batteries if I am really doing something with it.

Reply to
gfretwell

This is 100a I believe (came from a cop car) . I think they even go bigger. The engine is 6HP so I could probably parallel in another alternator.

Reply to
gfretwell

I was going to post the link to "Alternator Secrets" but this is what I got when I clicked on it: This content was removed at the request of T. Lindsay / Lindsay Publications Inc.

So, to me that means Don't Buy Anything From Lindsay Publications!

Anyway, if someone wants to learn more about how to modify alternators for higher voltages etc try searching for Alternator Secrets. Lotsa interesting stuff and the author is "unknown." Hell, if anyone wants it I'll email it to you. Let's see 'em delete it from my hard drive! This document is supposedly public domain.

A couple of things covered in the document: how to produce 120 volts from a washing machine motor, how to power such things as drills, saws, etc from a car alternator...

Reply to
Ulysses

My desktop has a 500W power supply and the monitor is a good 50W.

A laptop can run on 100W but not a desktop.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Your PSU *might* (ahem) supply *up to* 500W, doesn't mean that it does so all the time. If your compy doesn't sport the dull red glow of a small space heater, that's a clue.

Reply to
usenet-659f31de7f953aeb

Why do you think your PS is actually pulling anything near that bogus

500w rating? I am running a desktop in my car on a 135w inverter (MP3 player)
Reply to
gfretwell

I can add. I can also use the hundreds of various online configurators that help you size a P/S for the new computer you're building.

You can buy a 2GB MP3 player at Walgreens for $15. Why on Earth do you have a desktop in your car for that?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Because he can? Because in 2000 when he did it a 500mb MP3 player cost $150? Because he has 900GB of MP3's? Because he also has automobile diagnostics, map systems, internet, and his photo collection on the road? . . . . . .

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht