Security Systems (OT?)

My cars and neighbors cars have been broken into several times in the past month. I suspect it's the same person doing the rounds every couple of weeks. I want to install a system to CATCH this guy. I'm not interested in just deterring them. I'm not sure what my best options are.
I'm thinking about night vision cameras for one. I can get a system for around $350, but I'm not sure if it's sufficient. Even if I got video footage, would it be enough to do something? The systems I'm thinking of are:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo810051&CatId 23
One thing that concerns me is that one review mentioned that the cameras put out a faint red glow, making them visible at night. Is this true of all IR cameras? I'm also considering putting a wireless video camera in the glove box, so I'm pretty much guarenteed a decent picture of the face.
The other thing I can think of is putting in a wireless motion sensor in my glove box (I already own one, and it's X10 so I can have it turn on a radio/light etc). If I can catch the guy in the act, that would be ideal.
I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas/thoughts/experience on the subject that might help me.
Thanks
John
John wrote:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo810051&CatId 23
Hi, It could being an IR device. Seems like you're in bad neighborhood.

Up until a year ago, everything was good, but then these break-ins started happening -- and I'm guessing it's always the same person. I'm raising two children at this point and I don't want it turning into a bad neighbourhood. That's why I want to catch him rather than just deterring them.
John
John wrote:

How about a 30-06 with a night vision scope and a silencer. Then float him down the river.

a camera that can see good at night with good resolution will cost at least $500.
I have a Mintron colour security camera that I use primarily with with my telescope. It's a normal colour camera with low light capabilities, not IR. No problem with low light situations, but you do need some light, as much as the thief needs.
I set the camera up to video hummingbirds at a feeder this summer. I have an adapter that lets me to use my Canon DSLR lenses on the video camera. The video is clear enough to count the hummingbirds feathers.
I use a video to USB converter to bring the video signal into a laptop running a program called Cam Wizard. Cam Wizard records video when it detects motion on the screen. You can define where on the screen and how much motion to trigger the recording.
The camera itself will also detect motion and provide a signal to trigger other equipment like a DSLR camera with a flash or a VCR.
With the equipment I have, an unwelcome visitor would busted, with all the equipment behind windows out of his reach.
The camera has a small green LED on the back to indicate it is working. I cover the LED with electrical tape when I use the camera at night with the telescope.
Good luck trying the catch the troublemaker. Many years ago we had someone slashing tires in a good neighborhood. It only takes one or two bad ones to ruin things.
Smile son. Your parents will be so proud when they see this.
LdB

John wrote:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo810051&CatId 23
I've got one of these ($40.00): http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber914
Works swell. It either feeds a TV directly or goes to a video capture board ($17.00) here: http://www.directron.com/tvpcirc.html
This video capture board comes with all the software you need to engage in continuous recording.
You are correct in that the camera has very dim red lights on it. I've got mine hooked up in the bedroom (running to a PC in the closet in another room) and none of the ladies have noticed it yet.
If you're in Texas, be aware that you may use deadly force against a perpetrator of 'criminal mischief in the nighttime.'
Please discuss any plans with the local police. They will know what's legal, and what's most useful for them in court.
On the other hand, if you catch the guy in the act, you can be very creative how you discourage him (her) from a life of crime.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

A bear trap on your seat will awaken you with his screaming, that would hurt.
ransley wrote:

Against the law.

Yes burglary is against the law.
ransley wrote:

Yes, and booby-traps are against the law. There are any number of people who can enter your property without your knowledge or permission.
* Police with a search warrant * A child who has no criminal capacity * A firefighter or other emergency responder * A civil trespasser * Delivery people, meter readers, letter carriers * A creditor repossessing property ... and the list goes on
HeyBub wrote:

But none of them should be in the car at night unless they are robbing him of his belongings in the car or of the car itself.
Brandon McCombs wrote:

Sigh!
Let me repeat the list to include only those who can legally be in the car at night without the car owner's knowledge or permission:
* Police with a search warrant * A child who has no criminal capacity * A firefighter * A civil trespasser (trying to get out of the cold) * A delivery person ("Leave the pizza on the front seat of the green car...") * A creditor repossessing property
And you can't "rob" a car, or from a car - you can only "rob" a person. You can "steal" a car or "steal" from a car. You can also "burglarize" a car. But you can't "rob" a car (or a dwelling or a lawnmower or any other non-human thing).
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 05:57:44 -0700 (PDT), ransley

How about shooting (and killing) a burglar in your home? If he's alive, shoot him again to make sure he doesn't come back and sue.
Phisherman wrote:

It REALLY depends on the jurisdiction. Some areas permit or encourage it, in some using deadly force against an unarmed burglar is a crime. Look up "Castle Doctrine" on Wikipedia and check your own state laws.
The most important thing to remember is: Say NOTHING to the cops!
Second most important thing, if the burglar doesn't have a visible weapon, equip his remains with a knife from your kitchen.
Third most imporant thing - render first aid. If you managed to hit an artery, sufficient closed-chest heart-massage can exsanguinate the body which will, in turn, give the coroner a WTF? moment.
And you never shoot him again "to make sure he doesn't sue." You shoot him again because he twitched and you were in fear of your life. You never "shoot to kill" you always "shoot to stop the threat!"
John wrote:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo810051&CatId 23
Check out one my suppliers: http://www.supercircuits.com / The company will sell to consumers not just dealers. I've bought several systems from them and the quality is very good and the sales reps are very knowledgeable and helpful.
TDD