Screwed by Canon Rebate

Page 2 of 2

Steve B wrote:

I never owned Dell anything. I assemble my own desktps, laptops, I am with Thinkpad from day one.

My current computer is hand built. The Dell was an easy gift for my college bound son. So much for easy.
Steve

I'm the same way. I set up reminders for myself to check on rebates, as well, just so I don't forget about them. I sympathize ... but I don't really know why you crossposted this to hell and back.
Stacia headers trimmed
Reading this thread raised my blood pressure. I have always suspected rebates were a scam, and our Federa agencies don't seem to have much interest in protecting us.
Not to start a political discussion, but why is our goverment for business and not the people?
If cloned beef and milk is not harmful, then why NOT label it as such and let us decide if we want to eat it?
This is the time of year that credit card companies send us privacy notifications and give us the opportunity to opt out. I can do just about anything I want on-line with my Citibank credit card, increase my limit, add a second authorized user, etc. Opt out of their privacy policy? No, I have to mail a form at my expense to some freaking PO Box in Des Moines and wait 30 days for it to take effect. I guess something like this is too hard to program on a website. What a crock. Why was is it opt-out instead of opt-in? Of course the answer is obvious.
Sorry for the rant. Time for my medication.

Well, just who do you think OWNS "our" politicians? Those who contribute the most money. Ie, the corporations and their CEO's.
It's like 100% for the Republicans, it appears, at least to me.
Somewhat less for the Dems.
And now, with the (extreme?) right-wing in (executive) power, ie in control of Justice, the FDA, etc, etc, we've had 6 (7) years of constant nulling-out of consumer and citizen protection (from business).

Look, if you were Swift or some other meat-packer, would YOU want labels on your product that said "cloned meat product", nicely giving the shopper all the info he/she needs to make a rational choice?
HELL NO you wouldn't!
Because with such labeling, people would surely by LESS of your product, and so sales and then profits would be down, and then your stock-price -- and soon the Board would can you get someone else to pay $20 million a year to.
So, you instead do *everything possible* to keep that labeling from being required by law.
Oh, the naive will say, that CEO wouldn't really oppose that law, because doing so would harm the consumer, and no CEO would do that!
Right, like the cigarette people swearing under oath that cigarettes didn't cause cancer.
Like willingly continuing to sell expensive pills that just happen to the side-effect of killing people.
--

I saw this cartoon a while ago, by Tolles, I think, of these 5 or so CEO\'s
in a small meeting, and one of them is standing up saying that
On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 19:56:20 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

Just more offtopic useless crap......
* PLONK *
[...]

OK, I misunderstood what you said. You were saying that now they won't accept a copy, but you had sent the original. You're right, they did rip you off.
Cheri
[...]
Buck Turgidson wrote in message ...

You're speaking to my heart there. What a crock of crap. Citibank pulled that on me with some new card recently. I have had my old card for twenty years, and have some things automatically coming out every month, accidental insurance etc. Then these thugs send me a new card called a World Charter Card with a completely different number, and when I called to complain, I got a snotty rep who told me that if I didn't want the new card I should have opted out, and then she asked me if I read my mail. I told her why does one have to opt out if they don't want something, if they do want it they should opt in. Anyway, I had to spend quite a bit of time getting the automatic payments switched, and I am not a happy camper.
Cheri

Perhaps you could email Canon, and give them a link to these newsgroups. That would probably solve your problem PDQ.
Cheri

A few years ago, I sent in a rebate form on a hard drive. It came back "no such address". So, I copied the form, cut out the address & taped it to the envelope. It came back for the same reason.
Malcolm Hoar wrote in message ...

You're absolutely right about that.
Cheri
Aeons ago (late 50's), my mother and father were on a trip, so I wrote a letter to:
<parents name> Hotel de something Rue do something-else
They got it. Scribbled on the envelope was "try Paris"!
David

Sounds like insurance companies to me. Car and home warranty companies, too.
Enticement, enticement, enticement, and once they got you, no cheese.
Steve