Screw extractor

Page 1 of 4
These sound useful, ever used anything like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181742384239
On 03/31/2016 09:26 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

They are of limited usefulness.
If the screw is locked to the point of having it's head break off, one of those extractors will not work.

Often the screw head breaks off because it's rusty. Or more often, the head has not snapped off, but you've damaged the phillips shape etc.
--
Computers can never replace human stupidity.

On 03/31/2016 09:37 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

If it's rusty, no harm in trying penetrating oil.
If the screw is not seized up but the slot is simply stripped, the extractor may very well work.
On Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 10:48:04 AM UTC-4, philo wrote:

Honda uses short #3 Phillips screws to hold their rotors on during assembly at the factory. By the time you need to change the rotors, the screws are often seized in the hub. YouTube has all sorts of videos showing the "best" technique for getting them out. Of course, the "best" technique differs from video to video.
I've never tried a screw extractor but I've have drilled the heads off of one set of rotor screws (8 screws total).
In all other cases (10 rotors in total) I've been able to get them out by using the the following method:
1 - Spray the screws with PB Blaster and let it work for a few hours 2 - Put a vice grip on the shaft of a #3 Phillips screwdriver 3 - With the screwdriver held firmly in the screw, rap the end of the handle with a hammer while using the vice grips to apply turning torque on the screw.
After a few raps, they tend to (hopefully) break free.
Honda rotors (and many aftermarket rotors for Honda) also have threaded holes in their rotors so you can screw a bolt in against the hub and pop the rotor off.
On 03/31/2016 10:56 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If the parts can take it, often heating with a propane torch will loosen things up.
OD expands a fraction more than ID

I did that on car wheelnuts once. I think it worked, I can't remember, I tried so many things. The final solution, as they kept tightening during driving, was to get a very long breaker bar and jump up and down on the end of it.
--
After Saddam was captured, eight people were killed and almost
80 wounded by shots fired in the air during celebrations

I've used the heating technique successfully many times for slightly rusted nuts and bolts.
There was one time I had to remove a tire soon after I had a flat fixed. They *way* over-tightened it so I put a long pipe on the end of my "four-way" and ended up bending it all to hell.
I took the car back and told them thy put the wheel on too tightly, then showed them my twisted "four-way" and said: "and I am NOT a weakling."
I later got a much better quality "four-way" my original was kind of a cheap piece of crap.

aded

d pop

osen

r,

wn

d.

ing."

I remember melting a bolt using a blowtorch once. I guess you can weld with torches. It was only a handheld propane/butane one.
-- “What’s the difference between a British and an Iraqi tank?” “I don’t know.” “Welcome to the US Air Force.”
On 3/31/2016 2:03 PM, philo wrote:

Now days I insist they put the lugs on loosely, and I'll torque them myself. Some garages balk at that idea, "your wheel will fall off".
I've had some success by using my left foot to push down on the four way, right (or both) hand to pull up on the right side.
Also had some success with my HF brand 25 inch breaker bar, and black impact sockets.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Every time I've seen a mechanic put them on, he uses a tool powered by a compressor, with a torque limiter which slips when they're tight enough.
--
Women are not served here. You have to bring your own.

On 03/31/2016 01:36 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Yep, that's the way it's supposed to be

Discount Tire where I got my last 2 sets of tires for the vehicles impressed me. They have a large window where you can see the work being done. They use impact wrenches to tighten the lug nuts, but for a final tighten they use a torque wrench.

Here they use a compressor powered torque limited thing which looks like a handheld electric drill. And as for the window, why? I just hang around in the garage where they're working.
--
I married my wife for her looks...but not the ones she's been giving me lately!

Some places use the impact wrenches with different torque tubes (limiters) for the required touque. I think this place does,but gives a final check with the torque wrench.
Most places around here will not let you in the working area. They have a big sign up about the insurance requirements. I don't blame them, I would not want someone looking over me while I was trying to do some work.

Any place with a sign like that wouldn't get my custom.
--
Connecticut police are investigating a string of shootings where clues are reportedly contained in a rap CD.
They are also questioning Bob Marley about the shooting of a sheriff.
On Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 4:33:16 PM UTC-4, Mr Macaw wrote:

I'll have to buy a whole bunch of those signs just to keep you away.

Never throw away a paying customer.
--
A patient complained to his doctor, "I've been to three other doctors and none of them agreed with your diagnosis."
The doctor calmly replied, "Just wait until the autopsy, then they'll see that I was right."
On Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 8:21:15 PM UTC-4, Mr Macaw wrote:

BS
I've fired paying clients more than a few times. Either their demands weren't worth the money they paid me or their demands would only lead to possible liabilities later on. Rather than risk some high paid lawyer saying "You're the expert, you should have known better than to listen to them" I fired them before it came to that.
On 3/31/2016 8:38 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've fired customers, on a couple occasions. One was a guy who was verbally and orally abusive. Other was a place that had a master key system. The guy wanted me to use the master key chart that earlier locksmith had written. I met the other guy once, he was so proud of his computer program. Anyhow, I could tell which keys worked each other locks. Mentioned it, the customer found I was correct, but "we'll just hope no one notices". I fired him at that point.
--
.
Christopher A. Young