Safe dryer vent hose

Our dryer vent hose looks as if it is made out of aluminum foil. It looks the same as the white plastic kind except that it is a shiny metal color.
My brother thinks it is the safe kind. I do not think so. I have seen a flexible metal vent on TV that looks somewhat like a medieval suit of armor.
Do we have the correct type of dryer vent? Thank you in advance for all replies. -- Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY, REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"
On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 17:36:29 -0800, Daniel Prince wrote:

I think it's fine - Home Depot sell "aluminum foil" ones like that for dryers (and we've got one on our dryer). I've seen the suit-of-armor stuff, too, but always figured that was for furnaces and ductwork, not dryers (and I'm not sure if it's even suitable for the hot, damp air that a dryer produces, actually)
Daniel Prince wrote:

If it's metal, it's probably safe, but I far prefer to use "flex duct" rather than dryer vent hose.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

What is "safe" is governed by your local code. The flexible white plastic stuff is illegal/unsafe in many areas if not everywhere.
Also you may note that there are different thicknesses of flex foil stuff. Just like the difference between many name brands of aluminum foil vs the cheap shit at the dollar store.

As long as it is metal, and not rusted thru or full of holes, it should be ok,
in

How can I tell if it is metal and not plastic with a coating that looks like metal? -- I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets. They were all gourmands!

Another good use for HF heat gun maybe.
On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 17:36:29 -0800, Daniel Prince

Accordian aluminum flex-vent is fine.

I prefer the medieval armor looking stuff, it is hard to work with, but will out last a couple of dryers. I presently have a very straight shot & use a short piece of rigid aluminum duct. It is a little inconvenient to hook up, you muscle the dryer with the duct attached to the wall junction, but it has no ridges to collect lint and dust.
On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 17:36:29 -0800, Daniel Prince

The smooth all-metal pipe is better. Use metal foil tape to seal all connections.

and limit the number of bends and length. Each 90 degree turn is equivelent to another 6 feet of line.