Running Boiler During Power Outage

I used a gasoline generator for about 10 years. I always had Stabil in the fuel, and twice a year I drained the tank, ran the engine dry, then refilled with fresh gas. With this method, I never had any starting issues

Reply to
RBM

"Ralph Mowery" wrote

Hurricane Gloria was the only time we were without for a long time (36 hours) in my 66 years. I think a obut it once in a while, but I have a difficult time justifying a $600+ outlay to sit in the garage for years at a time. With Irene, were were out maybe two minutes, even though near us was out for a week.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I only tried the generator twice. Both times it started right up (cheap Chinese thing, 3700 watts or something). When done testing I drain the gas out of it, including the screw in the carborator. I keep the gas in a 5 gallon (approved red) plastic container. I didn't put in Stabile but will this time.

The gas was about 6 months old before Irene hit so I dumped it into the car which was about half empty and filled the car with high octane gas so the old stuff wouldn't knock the octane too low. Then I filled the container with fresh gas.

But is a good idea to use stabile and I bought some and in it goes. Still, every six months I figure that I'll dump it in the car and get fresh.

Reply to
dgk