Running AC On Portable Generator

Page 2 of 2
IC_Clearly wrote:

What size is the AC (tons)? Multiply the tons by 1200 to get approximate run time watts.
It can take six or eight times the run time wattage for starting. If you have a 'hard start' kit on the condenser it will reduce the starting load.

Are you sure about that? Typically generators will handle surges of 10 or 20% over capacity; not 100%
Do you have an ampmeter? That is the best way to determine how much the AC draws.
On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 13:45:33 -0500, "IC_Clearly"

That's a pretty expensive generator. If you can afford the generator, you should be able to afford a couple of window units that will work much better on emergency power. I'd recommend a couple of very high EER 12,000 to 15,000 btu units.
Actually, I'm leaning toward that option. Not 12K or 15K btu units, but maybe 3 or 4 6K window units. I have an upstairs and downstairs with about 1100 sqft upstairs and 2100 downstairs. I'm not looking to fully cool the place, but in the peak summer (outside temps in the 95 to 100 range) keep it in the 85 to 90 range and keep the humidty at tolerable levels.
-- IC

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 12:54:11 -0500, "IC_Clearly"

Good. Excellent idea. Turning them on one at a time will prevent the problems with start current blowing breakers.
Just make sure that they are all 10.8 minimum EER.
First, does your generator put out 220 volts?
Second, what's the amps draw of the AC? 10 seer AC come in different sizes, y'know.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.