Rumbling noise when Maytag electric dryer starts

My dryer is a 1989 Maytag model, electric, no bells and whistles.

Last year, I had the rollers and the drum itself replaced because of an ongoing squealing noise the thing was making.

Now, for about a week or so, when it starts, it makes an odd rumbling noise for a second.

The noise sounds like there are a few childrens wooden blocks in it. Kind of a clattering noise more than a rumble.

The noise is over in less than a second, then the dryer works fine and runs quietly through its cycle.

But it ALWAYS makes this noise on startup, whether empty or full, and even if I'm putting pressure on any of its panels.

Ideas?

Reply to
trader-of-some-jacks

Check the squirrel cage fan coupled to the motor. There could be a foreign object in there (fell in through the lint screen opening) that stops rumbling when it sticks to the fan by centrifugal force.

Reply to
Bob

Might be the motor rumbling on its mounts due to a stretched or too long belt.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

shows a picture of what my dryer would look like with the front off.

I take it I'm to look behind that tan-colored thing on the left, that looks like the housing for the lint filter?

Sorry for the ignorance; this is not my forte!

Reply to
trader-of-some-jacks

Right. The fan draws air through the lint screen, past the thermal fuse and cycling thermostat, and out the exhaust duct. The fan is behind the big cover on the left side. Your dryer design may be a mirror image of the photo.

Reply to
Bob

Sorry, I am just now acting on this.

The squirrel cage fan is on the front bottom left, if you're facing the dryer.

I checked, and the noise is coming from the rear portion of the dryer, the part closest to the wall.

Reply to
trader-of-some-jacks

The drum sits on a couple of guides or supports that rotate with it. They may be worn, damaged, or have a flat spot.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski